Multiple companies hired or promoted executives into the chief sustainability officer (CSO) role during November 2023. The CSO appointments happened worldwide at companies across multiple vertical markets -- including agriculture, energy storage, financial services, healthcare, retail, state government, and software.
Here are the CSO names technology partners need to know:
1. Mark Anderton: The Warehouse Group, a large New Zealand retail company, has promoted Mark Anderton to chief sourcing and sustainability officer.
2. Andrew Bowley: Financial services giant Wells Fargo has hired Nomura veteran Andrew Bowley as international head of sustainability.
3. Meghan Conklin: Maryland Governor Wes Moore has named Meghan Conklin as the state’s first CSO and Michael Hinson as the state’s first chief resilience officer.
4. Swayantani Ghosh: Mahindra Logistics has hired Technip Energies veteran Swayantani Ghosh as chief sustainability & CSR officer.
5. Jeff Good: Northwestern Medicine has named Jeff Good as the organization's first chief sustainability executive. Here are four things to know about Good's experience and the organization's sustainability strategies.
6. Kathy Ryan: Financial services firm M&G has hired Irish Life Investment Management (ILIM) veteran Kathy Ryan as CSO. Ryan joined M&G on November 13 -- reporting to Chief Financial Officer Kathryn McLeland.
7. Josef Schmidhuber: Pure Harvest Smart Farms, a sustainable agriculture startup based in the Middle East, has hired Dr Josef Schmidhuber as CSO.
8. Joe Speicher: Autodesk has promoted VP Joe Speicher to become the software company's first CSO.
9. Evan van Hook: Battery and energy storage company Viridi has hired Honeywell veteran Evan van Hook as CSO.
10. Nathalie Wallace: Financial services firm Edmond de Rothschild has hired Natixis veteran Nathalie Wallace as CSO.
New Chief Sustainability Officers: Why Technology Partners Should Care
By 2027, 25% of Global 2000 companies will have assigned a CSO responsible for meeting their organization’s ESG goals and making ESG-related IT purchasing decisions, according to IDC.
Technology partners need to extend their sales, marketing, engagement and support strategies to successfully fulfill those CSO needs, Sustainable Tech Partner believes.
Related: Search our global database of chief sustainability officers.