Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT services companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Green IT Alliances
1. New Chief Sustainability Officer: The Warehouse Group, a large New Zealand retail company, has promoted Mark Anderton to chief sourcing and sustainability officer, according to his LinkedIn bio. Related: See and search our global database of chief sustainability officers.
2. Software: Siemens has joined the Green Software Foundation (GSF) as a new member of its steering committee to help guide the Foundation’s strategic direction.
3. Data Centers: Swiss data center firm Green has begun construction work on two data centers at its campus in Zurich, Data Center Dynamics reported.
4. ESG Tool: The Future Investment Initiative (FII) Institute, in partnership with ESG Book, has unveiled a tool to "improve the quality of data on ESG in emerging markets and empower companies in these markets to receive financial flows."
5. EV Software Layoffs: Volkswagen wants to cut 2,000 jobs at its troubled software unit Cariad as part of a restructuring plan which will see its long-awaited new software architectures delayed even further, manager magazin and Reuters reported. Cariad's software is key to VW's electric vehicle (EV) and sustainability strategy.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments, Funding and Green IT Business Launches
1. M&A: Risk management firm Alcumus has acquired Planet Mark, a Net Zero and sustainability certification organization. Alcumus is backed by private equity firm Apax Partners. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
2. M&A List: Here's our database of all M&A deals involving sustainability, green IT and renewable energy buyers, sellers and investors.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. United States - Florida Hydrogen Energy: Duke Energy plans to build and operate the nation's first end-to-end green hydrogen system in Florida. Key partners on the hydrogen energy system include Sargent and Lundy, and GE Vernova.
2. COP28 - Renewable Energy Goals: The COP28 president and two renewable energy organizations urged governments to triple renewable energy capacity by 2030 as part of efforts to stop global warming exceeding 1.5 degrees Celsius, Reuters reported.
3. COP28 - Words Matter: The COP28 president said he was aware countries had strong views about including language on fossil fuels and renewables in the negotiated text of the UN climate summit in November, but that common ground must be found, Reuters reported.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Forbes Middle East Sustainability Leaders Summit 2023 (November 1-3, Abu Dhabi, UAE)
- World Travel & Tourism Council Global Summit (November 1-3, Kigali, Rwanda)
- ACESD 2023: Asia Conference on Environmental and Sustainable Development (November 3-5, Sapporo, Japan)
- Cisco Partner Summit 2023 (November 6-9, Miami, Florida)
- Sustainable Detroit Forum 2023 (November 6, Detroit, Michigan)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.