Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT services companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Research - Green Buildings and Jobs: Deploying green energy technologies in new and retrofitted buildings can create more than 2 million new jobs in Europe and the United States, according to research from Boston University Institute for Global Sustainability (IGS) and the Schneider Electric Sustainability Research Institute (SRI).
2. SEC Climate Policy Infuencers?: At least three ranking Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) officials have joined Persefoni, a company formed in 2020 for the purpose of measuring carbon footprints of large business enterprises, The Ohio Star reported...
3. Apple Greenwashing?: Apple CEO Tim Cook counters greenwashing accusations in this interview with Brut.
4. World Cup Going Green?: FIFA will take measures to "mitigate the environmental impact" of the three-continent 2030 World Cup, Reuters reported.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments, Funding and Business Launches
1. Funding - Solar Energy Integrator: Private equity firm ArcLight Capital Partners has invested in REC Solar of San Luis Obispo, California. REC Solar has a portfolio of solar, battery energy storage and microgrid projects for hundreds of U.S. commercial enterprises, including manufacturers, retailers, schools, universities and municipalities. Financial terms of the investment were not disclosed.
2. M&A: Qualus Corporation has acquired GridBright, a technology solutions firm that specializes in secure and sustainable grid integration. The deal "further solidifies Qualus’ position as a leading innovator at the forefront of the energy transition, with differentiated capabilities across grid modernization, resiliency, security, and sustainability," the buyer said. Financial terms were not disclosed.
3. All M&A Deals: Our list of M&A deals focused on sustainability tracks hundreds of buyers, sellers and private equity investors who focus on green IT services, renewable energy & more.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. COP28: The Ministry of Climate Change and Environment (MOCCAE) and Tadweer (Abu Dhabi Waste Management Company) plan to launch Waste to Zero -- a "global initiative to mobilize and advance waste decarbonization efforts, and to establish a circular economy platform," the organizations said.
2. United States- California Climate Emissions Disclosure Law: As expected, Governor Gavin Newsom signed two climate emission disclosure bills into law.
3. United States - California VCs and Diversity: Gov. Gavin Newsom has signed into law a bill that would require venture capital firms to report to the state the race, gender, sexual orientation and other demographic information of the founders they back, the Bay Area Inno reported.
4. United Kingdom: The UK just moved a step closer to requiring companies to provide detailed statements on future carbon emissions reductions that will include both their operations and supply chains, Bloomberg reported. The Transition Plan Taskforce, an initiative started by the UK Treasury and supported by several companies, published its final framework for corporate carbon emissions transition plans on October 9, 2023, Bloomberg noted.
5. Australia-Japan Relations: The two countries committed to improve cooperation on energy and climate goals following a bilateral meeting, Bloomberg reported.
6. Australia - Electric Grid Transition: Winning public support to install 10,000 kilometers (6,214 miles) of new power transmission lines in Australia is a key challenge for a shift to renewables, Bloomberg reported.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Sustainable Brands 2023 (October 16-19, San Diego, California)
- Sustainable Retail Summit 2023 (October 18-20, Copenhagen, Denmark)
- The Political Economics of Environmental Sustainability Conference 2023 (October 23-24, Stanford University)
- VERGE 23 Climate Tech Event (October 24-26, San Jose, California)
- NAEM's EHS & Sustainability Management Forum 2023 (October 24-27, Cleveland, Ohio)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.