Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT services companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
1. Chief Sustainability Officers: Our database of chief sustainability officers now spans 396 CSOs. The latest additions include:
- Elizabeth Babcock, executive director, Office of Climate Action, Sustainability & Resiliency (CASR), City of Denver
- Marina Cristina Bifulco, CSO and group investor relations director, Prysmian Group
- Jessica Davis, associate VP and CSO, Indiana University
- Jonathan de Wolff, CSO, InKind
- Clémentine Pacitti, CSO, Klépierre
- Michael Piehler, CSO, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Arlene Strom, CSO, Suncor Energy Inc.
- Shana Weber, associate vice provost for campus sustainability, University of Michigan.
2. Help Wanted: The University of Michigan is seeking a vice provost for sustainability and climate action.
3. E-Waste Reduction and Right to Repair: PC maker Lenovo has committed to making 80% of its devices repairable by 2025, according to Luca Rossi, president of company's smart device group. Rossi made the statement during the Canalys 2023 EMEA Forum, GizChina reported.
4. Hospitality: Seven major hotels and purchasing organizations have partnered with EcoVadis to measure and improve the sustainability performance of their various supply chains. The effort, known as the Hospitality Alliance for Responsible Procurement (HARP), includes:
5. Talent: Impakt IQ, which develops ESG frameworks and benchmark tools, has named Errol Schweizer as partner and lead for CPG Industry.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments, Funding and Business Launches
1. Funding - Green Cloud Data Centers: Helio has raised €4.9M in an equity and debt round. The startup develops carbon-aware software that routes customers to idle cloud services, thereby improving datacenter utilization rates.
2. Financing - Green Data Centers: Vantage Data Centers has raised USD$1.35 billion in securitized notes. Vantage will use the money to refinance three data centers in Northern Virginia and five data centers in Quebec, Canada. This is Vantage’s fourth green financing -- bringing our total green loan financings to more than $2 billion, CFO Sharif Metawalli said.
3. M&A - Energy Management Software: Nuveen and Lime Rock New Energy have acquired Power TakeOff (PTO), an energy information software provider. The software allows North American utilities to increase revenues, meet efficiency goals and reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, PTO asserts. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
4. All M&A Deals: Our list of M&A deals focused on sustainability tracks hundreds of buyers, sellers and private equity investors who focus on green IT services, renewable energy & more.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. United Nations: The United Nations' main fund for helping vulnerable countries cope with climate change has raised $9.3 billion -- falling short of a $10 billion target after wealthy nations, including the United States, failed to pay in, Reuters reported.
2. Indonesia: The country expects to unveil a $20 billion energy transition investment plan in November 2023, days before the United Nations COP28 climate summit as Jakarta tries to resolve issues on funding and energy mix for the initiative, Reuters reported.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Extrusion 2023: Plastics Technology Event (October 10-12, Indianapolis, Indiana)
- Sustainable Finance Live 2023 (October 10, London)
- Sustainable Brands 2023 (October 16-19, San Diego, California)
- Sustainable Retail Summit 2023 (October 18-20, Copenhagen, Denmark)
- The Political Economics of Environmental Sustainability Conference 2023 (October 23-24, Stanford University)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.