Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT services companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. ESG Reporting - Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Software: UiPath and Teradata are partnering to help businesses automate data gathering and management for ESG initiatives.
2. Partnership - Green Jobs: Goodwill, in partnership with Accenture, has launched the Goodwill Clean Tech Accelerator. The accelerator will "teach employability and technical skills for jobs involving solar and storage, electric vehicle charging, heat pumps and energy efficiency," the two companies said. Key training partners include GRID Alternatives, ChargerHelp! and BlocPower.
3. Partnership - Software: C3 AI and ESG Book are integrating their software to "provide sustainability teams within enterprises with unparalleled data-driven analytical capabilities," the two companies said.
4. Partnership - Energy Software: Kent, an engineering company in oil and gas and low-carbon energy, will leverage AVEVA’s suite of cloud-based engineering software. Moreover, Kent is now an AVEVA-certified system integrator -- which permits Kent to implement AVEVA’s engineering and operations software for key players in the energy sector
5. Startups: Here are 15 climate technology companies to watch, according to MIT Technology Review.
6. COP28: Pope Francis warned that the world "is collapsing" due to global warming, urging participants of the upcoming COP28 talks to agree to binding policies on phasing out fossil fuels, Barrons reported.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments, Funding and Business Launches
1. Funding: Asset manager White Summit Capital has started a financing round for a new infrastructure fund focused on decarbonization, with the aim of reaching a first close of as much as €300 million ($315 million) by the end of this year, Bloomberg reported.
2. M&A - Energy and SaaS Software: ESG has acquired Phidex, a provider of pricing, settlement and revenue assurance software and energy consultancy services. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
3. M&A - Food Waste Reduction: Invafresh has acquired Whywaste, a food technology company that helps gocery retailers and convenience stores reduce food waste, maintain regulatory compliance and increase profitability. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
4. M&A - Private Equity and Carbon Management: SK Capital Partners acquired U.S. oilfield waste services and carbon management firm Milestone Environmental Services from Amberjack Capital Partners. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
5. All M&A Deals: Our list of M&A deals focused on sustainability tracks hundreds of buyers, sellers and private equity investors who focus on green IT services, renewable energy & more.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. United States - Wind Power Challenges: Three U.S. states in New England (Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut) agreed to jointly procure offshore wind power as soaring interest rates and rising equipment and labor costs have made some projects uneconomic, Reuters reported.
2. Canada - Building Energy Management: Commercial building owners in Alberta and Saskatchewan will be able to upgrade their buildings with energy-efficient solutions and zero upfront costs. Efficiency Capital and CLEAResult partnered to drive the effort.
3. European Union - Climate Czar: Former Dutch foreign minister Wopke Hoekstra will be approved as the European Union’s next climate commissioner — leading the bloc’s negotiating team at COP28 at a time when green policies are being increasingly challenged at home, Bloomberg reported.
4. European Union: The European Union plans to slash the use of super-potent greenhouse gases in fridges and air conditioners, part of the EU's broader plans to cut CO2 emissions and protect the environment, Reuters reported.
5. Europe - Green Energy Independence: Europe could wean itself off fossil fuels and create a self-sustainable energy sector by spending around 2 trillion euros ($2.1 trillion) on solar, wind and other regenerative sources by 2040, according Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Reuters reported.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Extrusion 2023: Plastics Technology Event (October 10-12, Indianapolis, Indiana)
- Sustainable Finance Live 2023 (October 10, London)
- Sustainable Brands 2023 (October 16-19, San Diego, California)
- Sustainable Retail Summit 2023 (October 18-20, Copenhagen, Denmark)
- The Political Economics of Environmental Sustainability Conference 2023 (October 23-24, Stanford University)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.