Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. New Chief Sustainability Officers: Key names to know include...
2. Apple Accused of Green Washing: The Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs (IPE), a nonprofit entity based in Beijing, alleges that Apple may be overstating the recent Apple Watch carbon neutral claims, Inside Climate News reported.
3. Clean Energy Cohort: IBM has joined the UN Energy Compact through the IBM Sustainability Accelerator Clean Energy cohort. The result: IBM technology and expertise will be used to help address clean energy issues, such as energy transition and renewables strategies for communities, the technology company said.
4. IT Services and Recycling: Data center and cloud services provider Servecentric of Dublin, Ireland, has leveraged Vyta Group's IT recycling and refurbishment services to save 13 tonnes (13,000kg)of CO2e (carbon dioxide equivalent). Moreover, the partnership enabled Vyta to return €77,000 in revenues to Servecentric, the two companies said.
5. Data Center Carbon Emissions: CGI has developed a digital twin service to help customers better understand and reduce data center energy consumption, Tech Market View reported.
6. ESG Software: Risk management specialist KPA has launched ESG and Sustainability capabilities for the KPA EHS Software. The new capabilities are powered by Brightest, a sustainability, ESG, and impact management platform.
7. Talent - ESG Data Management Software: Measurabl has hired Maureen Waters as chief growth officer.
8. Industrial Software - AWS Energy Competency: AVEVA has achieved Amazon Web Services (AWS) Energy Competency status. The distinction recognizes AVEVA’s expertise in "helping customers leverage AWS’ cloud technology to transform complex industrial systems and accelerate the transition to a sustainable energy future," AVEVA asserts.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments, Funding and Business Launches
1. M&A - Environmental Consulting: SLR is acquiring Palmer Environmental Consulting Group Inc. of Canada. The seller has roughly 100 employees across British Columbia and Ontario. The deal will "build upon SLR’s existing environmental capabilities and will result in one of the largest environmental teams in Canada to support customers in Making Sustainability Happen," the buyer said. The deal is expected to close in early November 2023. Financial terms were not disclosed.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. United States - ESG Progress?: Recent developments in environmental, social & governance (ESG) issues point to positive momentum in the United States, despite the divisive wave of anti-ESG sentiment in some political circles, Thomson Reuters Regulatory Intelligence asserts.
2. United States- Wind Power Setback: Avangrid agreed to pay $16 million to exit contracts for a New England offshore wind farm that has become “unfinanceable” after inflation and supply-chain issues drove up costs, its second cancellation in three months, Bloomberg reported.
3. United States - Texas Power Grid: The Texas grid operator is seeking to secure an extra 3,000 megawatts of power reserves this winter to avoid an “unacceptable” risk of an emergency in extreme Texas conditions, Bloomberg reported. The Electric Reliability Council of Texas estimates that there is an almost 20% probability that the state grid it manages will enter into an energy emergency alert, or EEA, if there is a repeat of last year’s December storm. Procuring 3,000 megawatts will cut that probability to less than 10%, Bloomberg reported.
4. Australia - Consulting: Eddy Andrews Consulting, a consulting firm based in Australia, has launched a sustainability program aimed at "helping businesses navigate the complexities of sustainability and environmental responsibility," the company said.
5. Canada - Digital Transformation and Sustainability: Canada should leverage digital transformation and related technologies -- such as IoT sensors, digital twins, drones, artificial intelligence, and cloud computing -- to help achieve the country's sustainability goals while fighting climate change, according to Accenture research.
6. India: Data-related risks and unpredictable weather patterns have emerged as some of the biggest concerns for Indian business leaders steering their companies through an increasingly volatile economic environment, Bloomberg reported.
7. France - Electric Vehicle Charging Network: Driveco is expanding and diversifying its 8,000+ charge point network with several partnerships across hospitality, retail, and aerospace. The effort includes ordering more than 200 fast chargers from Tritium. The fast chargers will primarily be installed at the world’s eighth-largest retailer, with over 1,000 supermarkets, nearly 4,000 convenience stores, and 248 hypermarkets in France alone, Driveco said.
8. Singapore: Microsoft and Singapore’s Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) unveiled a set of digital sustainability guidelines designed to “accelerate education and awareness among businesses and developers," The Business Times reported.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- ClimateTech 2023 (October 4-5, Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- IGEM 2023 (October 4-6, Malaysia)
- ESG Africa Conference 2023 (October 4-5, South Africa)
- Chicago Venture Summit: Future of Climate Tech 2023 (October 5, Chicago, Illinois)
- Extrusion 2023: Plastics Technology Event (October 10-12, Indianapolis, Indiana)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.