Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Google Cloud Sustainability Strategy: It's safe to expect sustainability conversations at this week's Google Cloud Next 2023 conference in San Francisco. Ahead of the event, Google inked cloud sustainability partnerships with Deloitte and Hitachi Energy. Also, Google hired AWS sustainability veteran Chris Vonderhaar as VP of demand and supply management in July 2023. Stay tuned for more updates this week.
2. Net Zero - Accelerated IT Services Deadline: Fujitsu has accelerated its plan to achieve net zero GHG emissions across its supply chain. The new Fujitsu net zero deadline is fiscal 2040.
3. Research - Global Sustainability Spending: Global spending on sustainability business services will reach $65 billion in 2027, up from $37.7 billion in 2023, according to an IDC market forecast.
4. Research - HVAC Market Growth Forecast: The global HVAC systems market will reach $597.7 billion by 2030, upfrom $246.10 in 2022. That's an 11.3% CAGR (compound annual growth rate), according to The Insight Partners. Much of the growth involves IoT-enabled smart grid connectivity and associated applications that allow users to track such HVAC variables as pressure, vibration, flow, temperature, humidity, on-off cycles, fault tolerance and leak detection information. Another factor involves growing adoption of refrigerants that have low global warming potential.
5. Partnership - AI and Blockchain: Vechain and SingularityNET are partnering to offer "powerful enterprise-grade tools to tackle challenges in the field of sustainability and traditional businesses," the two companies said.
6. E-Waste - Google Chromebook Concerns: Chromebooks were once a good deal for schools but now they are becoming e-waste, according to The Wall Street Journal.
7. Electric Vehicles - Europe: Fisker has launched country-specific websites for Belgium, the Netherlands and Switzerland. The company already serves Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden and the United Kingdom, as well as Canada and the United States. Deliveries are underway in all regions, Fisker said.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. M&A - Battery Storage Business: ENGIE, a French Utility, has acquired the the battery storage business of Broad Reach Power. The sellers were EnCap Energy Transition Fund and co-investors Yorktown Partners, Mercuria Energy and Apollo Infrastructure Funds. The purchase price was roughly $1 billion in equity value, the parties said. Broad Reach, founded in 2019, develops and operates renewable energy and energy storage power projects in Texas, California and other markets.
2. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 122 mergers and acquisitions so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. United States - Small Business Clean Energy R&D Funding: The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced 106 awards totaling $126 million in research and development (R&D) grants for 90 different small businesses. The awards focus on clean energy and decarbonization, cybersecurity and grid reliability, fusion energy, and nuclear nonproliferation.
2. Malaysia: The country aims to roll out a plan this year on harnessing green hydrogen, with an eye toward becoming a main export hub by 2027, according to Environment Minister Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, Bloomberg reported.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Google Cloud Next 2023 Partner and Customer Conference (August 29-21, San Francisco)
- Sustainability Live 2023 (Sept. 6-7, London, United Kingdom)
- ICSD 2023 Sustainability Conference (September 6-7, Rome, Italy)
- Sustainability Reporting Europe 2023 (September 6-7, London, United Kingdom)
- Reuters Impact 2023 (September 6-7, London, United Kingdom)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send Us Your News Tips. Please email me the details.