Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT services companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Green IT Alliances
1. Chief Sustainability Officers List: Our database of chief sustainability officers, typically updated each business day, now spans 419 CSOs from businesses, universities and organizations worldwide. The latest additions to the database include:
2. Talent: CHANEL has named Anna Bartle as the global head of sustainability content and engagement. Bartle reports to Chief Sustainability Officer Kate Wylie. Bartle is responsible for shaping and managing CHANEL’s sustainability communications and engaging with key stakeholders to further the company’s sustainability goals.
3. Right to Repair: The White House hosted a Right to Repair discussion -- asserting that "the ability to repair consumer electronics devices could save American consumers $49.6 billion annually, reduce the nearly 7 million tons of annual electronic waste in the U.S., and support small independent repair shops." At that discussion, Apple announced a new nationwide right to repair commitment, The Verge reported.
4. AI and Sustainability: Lenovo's new AI for All strategy includes sustainability services.
5. Staff Cuts: Shell layoffs will impact Low Carbon Solutions (LCS) business, report says.
6. Research - Environmental Consulting Services Market Forecast: The global Environmental Consulting Services will reach $65.1 billion in 2030 -- up from $35.7 billion in 2022, according to Research and Markets. That's a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.8%, the report said.
7. Research - IoT and Decarbonization Market Forecast: The global IoT in energy market will reach $114 billion by 2030, which represents a CAGR of 19.4% from 2023, Research and Markets said.
8. Accounting Issues - Solar Power: SunPower's stock plummeted around 10% after the solar energy company said it will restate financial results for fiscal year 2022 and the first half of fiscal year 2023. According to an SunPower filing with the SEC, SunPower determined that a "material weakness exists in the Company’s internal control over financial reporting."
9. Carbon Capture Technology Challenges: Carbon Capture technology and deployments desperately need reality checks after a lost decade, Bloomberg asserts.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments, Funding and Green IT Business Launches
1. M&A - Energy Storage Systems: Hitachi Energy has acquired EKS Energy from Powin LLC. The seller will retain a "significant" minority stake in EKS, which develops energy storage systems. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
2. ESG Investments Under Pressure: Investors pulled $2.7 billion from sustainable funds in Q3 of 2023, Morningstar reported.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. United States - New York Wind Power: New York has awarded conditional contracts to three offshore wind projects as part of a massive renewable energy procurement that will provide 12% of the state's power needs in 2030, Reuters reported.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Gartner Supply Chain Planning Summit 2023 (October 29-31, London)
- Forbes Middle East Sustainability Leaders Summit 2023 (November 1-3, Abu Dhabi, UAE)
- World Travel & Tourism Council Global Summit (November 1-3, Kigali, Rwanda)
- ACESD 2023: Asia Conference on Environmental and Sustainable Development (November 3-5, Sapporo, Japan)
- Cisco Partner Summit 2023 (November 6-9, Miami, Florida)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.