Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Lead-Covered Cables: TDS Telecommunications LLC, a subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, has roughly 10 miles of lead-covered cables in its network. TDS Telecom is "identifying next steps to address the very limited amount of lead cabling it estimates is in its network," the company said. The statement surfaced after The Wall Street Journal reported that legacy network cables covered in toxic lead may cause health risks to U.S. consumers and workers.
2. EV Project Management Growth: Charge Enterprises announced a $138 million booking backlog in the infrastructure market for the second quarter of 2023, up 43% from the corresponding quarter in 2022. Charge Enterprises' total revenues were $193.6 million in Q1 of 2023, up 19% from Q1 in 2022, the company disclosed in May of 2023. Charge provides project management services in the electrical, broadband and EV charging infrastructure markets.
3. EV Charging Network: DriveOhio, a division of the Ohio Department of Transportation, announced 27 new electric vehicle (EV) charging stations will be installed along Ohio interstates. The EV charging station sites will be developed as part of the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Program. The $18 million in NEVI funding will be matched with nearly $6 million from the private entities. Key partners and participants in the project include Pilot Travel Centers, TH Midwest, Francis Energy, Meijer Stores, EVgo Services, ChargeNet Stations, and Equilon/Shell.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. Funding: Othersphere, a startup specializing in location optimization for zero / low greenhouse gas commodity infrastructure, has raised C$3 million in seed funding. The round was led by Active Impact Investments, with additional contributions from Thin Line Capital, KDX, and Keiki Capital.
2. M&A - Carbon Capture Technology: Buckeye Partners, backed by IFM Global Infrastructure Fund, has acquired Elysian Carbon Management from EnCap Flatrock Midstream. Elysian provides integrated end-to-end carbon capture and storage (“CCS”) solutions to industrial, power and similar facilities seeking to transition to lower carbon products, the buyer said. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
3. M&A - Wind Energy: EverWind Fuels, which runs a large-scale green hydrogen project in Canada, has acquired three wind farm development projects in Nova Scotia. The wind farms, which represent 530MW of anticipated power, will be developed and built in partnership with Renewable Energy Systems.
4. M&A - Sustainable Manufacturing: BBB Industries, a sustainable manufacturer backed by private equity firm Clearlake Capital Group, has acquired Hydraulex, a provider of hydraulic solutions serving the industrial aftermarket. Financial terms of the deal were not announced.
5. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 100 mergers and acquisitions involving sustainability so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. Germany - Wind Power: German added 60% more onshore wind capacity in the first half of 2023 compared to 2022, but far more was needed to reach government targets for 2030, Reuters reported.
2. Brazil - Solar Integrators: Solargraf, a cloud-based design and proposal software platform from Enphase Energy, is now available in Brazil. Solargraf allows solar installers to create production system proposals and plan documents for residential and commercial customers. Early adopters include Ibisol Energia Solar, Mavo Engenharia and Yest Energia. The SaaS-based application is already available to solar installers in the United States and Canada.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- ITAD 2023 (July 18-19, Scottsdale, Arizona)
- IAEE European Conference 2023 (July 24-27, Milan, Italy)
- ASES Solar 2023 Conference (August 8-11, Boulder, Colorado)
- World ESG Summit 2023 (August 21-22, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- Google Cloud Next 2023 Partner and Customer Conference (August 29-21, San Francisco)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Our Previous Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send Us Your News Tips. Please email me the details.