Apparel exporter Gokaldas Exports of India has hired Pranjal Jyoti Goswami as chief sustainability officer.
Here are four things to know about Goswami and Gokaldas Exports' sustainability strategy.
1. Business Scope and Scale: Gokaldas Exports, founded in 1979, positions itself as one of India's largest apparel manufacturers and exporters. The company, backed by about 32,000 employees across 20 production units, has annual turnover about US $250 million.
2. Sustainability Initiatives: Key efforts include a Zero Liquid Discharge Plant strategy, rainwater harvessting and rooftop solar panels. Gokaldas Exports describes those effort and more on page 33 of this May 2023 investor presentation. Still, we don't know the company's overall Net Zero target deadline.
3. Pranjal Jyoti Goswami's Focus and Business Experience: Goswami has nearly two decades of experience in Sustainability, ESG, and CSR Management, the company notes. His LinkedIn bio notes these accomplishments:
- Provided strategic and technical insights towards developing India’s National Action Plan (NAP) on Business and Human Rights (BHR) to the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA), India.
- Co-Founded Bioaxia Private Limited, an entrepreneurial venture towards leveraging sustainability-driven business opportunities
- Successfully driven global and regional sustainability strategy, sustainability projects and risk mitigation initiatives.
- Recipient of “50 Most Talented Sustainability Leaders” award conferred by “World CSR Congress” (2015).
- Implemented the first Public Private Project (SUSBIZ, INDIA) on Sustainable Business Development in India under Ministry of External Affairs, Denmark
- Developed National CSR Guidelines for SME in Vietnam (In collaboration with UNGC and UNDP, Vietnam).
4. Executive Perspectives: In a prepared statement about joining Gokaldas Exports, Goswami said: “I am thrilled to announce that I have taken on the role of Chief Sustainability Officer at Gokaldas Exports Limited. As we stride towards a more sustainable future, I couldn’t be more honoured to lead our commitment to positive change within the fashion industr. My mission is clear – to drive meaningful and impactful initiatives that will not only transform our company’s practices but also shape the way the entire garment industry approaches sustainability.”
Gokaldas Exports' New Chief Sustainability Officer: Why Technology Partners Should Care
By 2027, 25% of Global 2000 companies will have assigned a chief sustainability officer (CSO) responsible for meeting their organization’s ESG goals and making ESG-related IT purchasing decisions, according to IDC.
Technology partners need to extend their sales, marketing, engagement and support strategies to successfully fulfill those CSO needs, Sustainable Tech Partner believes.