Here is today’s sustainability, Net Zero and circular economy news, research and analysis. This daily update is designed for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs and chief sustainability officers (CSOs). Our updates for Friday, March 17, 2023 include...
A. Sustainability and Net-Zero News and Research
1. Electric Vehicle (EV) Charing Stations & Security: Irdeto has launched Irdeto CrossCharge, a set of managed services that allow users to easily charge and roam "across borders, networks, vehicle models, security providers and e-mobility service providers," the company asserts.
2. Top 100 Women in Sustainability: Here's the list, as announced by Sustainability Magazine.
3. Industrial IoT (IIoT) Monitoring: Acorn Energy revenue was $7.0 million in 2022, up from $6.8 million in 2021. The company develops remote monitoring and control solutions for stand-by power generators, gas pipelines, air compressors and other industrial equipment.
4. Sustainability Consulting - Cayman Islands: The Ministry of Sustainability and Climate Resiliency has awarded an $89,115 contract to accounting firm PwC to determine which of the United Nations’ 17 sustainability goals are most relevant to the Cayman Islands, according to Cayman Compass.
5. Research - Africa: Only half (50%) of sub-Saharan African companies surveyed are working on or have implemented a data-driven, enterprise-level strategy for reducing emissions and mitigating climate risks, compared to 65% globally, according to PwC research.
6. Starbucks: Ahead of its 2023 Annual Meeting of Shareholders, Starbucks announced over $50 million in planned investments to advance its target to cut its water and waste footprints in half by 2030.
B. Sustainability Funding, Financing, Mergers & Acquisitions
1. M&A - Solar Energy: Scale Microgrids is acquiring from CSG-Gutami more than 100 megawatts of New York community solar projects in late stage development. Scale will now construct, own and operate those projects. The deal is part of Scale’s "rapidly growing pipeline that is helping New York hit its mandated goal of a zero-emissions electricity sector by 2040," the buyer said. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
2. Funding - Software: The Climate Choice, a climate intelligence software platform for decarbonizing industrial supply chains, has raised $2 million in pre-seed funding. The round is led by Gutter Capital along with Possibilian Ventures, with participation from existing investors WestTech Ventures and various angels.
3. Funding - Recycling Technology: Green Li-ion, a lithium-ion battery recycling technology company, has raised $20.5 million in pre-series B funding led by Singapore-based decarbonization venture capital firm TRIREC.
4. Financing - Hospitality Services: CitizenM, an Amsterdam-based hotel company, has secured an approximately €480 million sustainability-linked loan that the company says underlines its commitment to reducing its environmental impact while also helping drive sustainable growth, PhocusWire reported.
C. Sustainability Partnerships, Alliances and Associations
1. Partnership - Supply Chain Management, India: PwC India and Ivalua have inked an alliance to "support the procurement digitalization of organizations in India." Moreover, the PwC and Ivalua alliance will "provide companies with greater visibility into tier-one and sub-tier suppliers, enabling them to meet their ESG goals," the two companies said.
2. Partnership - Cloud Services and Clean Energy: Google, LevelTen Energy and energy sellers, have piloted a "new approach that reduces the time to negotiate and execute a clean energy power purchase agreement (PPA) by roughly 80%," Google said.
3. Green IT - Europe: VMware has become a member of the European Green Digital Coalition (EGDC). The group -- spanning nearly 40 IT companies -- is supported by the European Commission, the European Parliament and a number of corporate partners, with the aim of harnessing the emission-reducing potential of digital solutions, the EGDC said.
D. Sustainability Conference Calendar
Here are five upcoming sustainability conferences and ESG events for business and technology partners:
- Sustainability Week 2023 (March 29-31, London, England)
- Responsible Business USA 2023 Sustainability Conference (April 4-5)
- Green Media Summit 2023 (April 13, New York)
- Sustainable Skies World Summit 2023 (April 17-18)
- EnerCom Dallas 2023 (April 18-19, Dallas, Texas)
E. Send Us Your News Tips
Got news tips, research or data to share? Please email me the details