Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology & Talent Developments
1. New Corporate Sustainability Reports: Our database tracking corporate sustainability reports and associated Net Zero goals now spans 110 companies and organizations. Today's additions include sustainability reports from Dahua Technology, Discover, Buro Happold and Kinross Gold Corp.
2. Talent - Financial Services and Sustainability Software: Former SEC Acting Chair and Commissioner Allison Herren Lee has joined Persefoni's Sustainability Advisory Board.
3. Data Center Software: Device42 has launched a Sustainability Insights packaged solution with built-in analytics, AI-based data enrichments and reporting. The software is "designed to assist enterprises forced to consolidate data center footprints and accelerate IT modernization in the face of a projected 3x increase in energy costs for 2023 and pressure to reach their sustainability goals," Device42 said.
4. IoT & Energy Management: Charles Tyrwhitt will leverage LoweConex's IoT energy management solutions to reduce the clothing retailer's energy consumption and carbon footprint, the companies said.
5. IT Consulting & Carbon Tracking Software: Ernst & Young (EY) has unveiled EY OpsChain ESG on the EY Blockchain SaaS platform. Developed on the Ethereum blockchain, the new solution will "provide a single, verifiable view of CO2 emissions (CO2e) to address the needs of enterprises that struggle to accurately measure and track their carbon footprint." EY OpsChain ESG is in beta testing as of May 10, 2023.
6. Partnership - Small Business Sustainability Training: eBay UK, working with ClimatePartner, has launched a Carbon Academy to help small businesses measure and reduce their carbon impact.
7. Partnership - Real Estate: CBRE's property management group has formed a global strategic partnership with Deepki -- which develops a landlord-focused real estate sustainability data-intelligence platform. In addition to leveraging the software, CBRE can now resell Deepki Ready to its property management clientele across the Americas and Asia Pacific regions.
8. Partnership - Solar Power: DSD Renewables (DSD) will supply solar energy to AT&T in upstate New York as part of a larger DSD solar strategy. The DSD portfolio is expected to generate 17.4 gigawatt-hours (GWh) of clean energy annually, delivering enough electricity to power over 2,000 homes each year and offset the equivalent of 12,331 metric tons of carbon dioxide, DSD said.
9. Higher Education - Nuclear Power: Purdue University is exploring whether small nuclear reactors can help the university to achieve zero carbon emissions. Purdue and Duke Energy released a preliminary feasibility report here.
10. Real Estate: How is the real estate industry evolving toward sustainability? Accounting firm EisnerAmper offers perspectives in this detailed report bout the The Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB).
11. Aviation - Sustainable Fuel: Honeywell has unveiled UOP eFining technology, a "ready-now solution for producing low-carbon sustainable aviation fuel (SAF)," the company said.
B. Sustainability Partnerships, Alliances, M&A & Investments
1. M&A - Solar Power Part I: Aspen Power has acquired a portfolio of 15 ground-mounted community solar projects in Maine. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
2. M&A - Solar Power Part II: Hydro Rein plans to acquire two early phase solar projects from GreenGo Energy in Southern Sweden. Construction is expected to begin in 2027, with production starting in 2028. GreenGo will remain involved in the project.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability News
1. United States - Green Energy Grid Funding: The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced $26 million for eight selected projects to demonstrate how solar, wind, storage, and other clean energy resources can support a reliable and efficient U.S. power grid.
2. Latin America - Data Centers: Scala Data Centers signed an open letter published by the iMasons Climate Accord (ICA) that seeks to promote the use of sustainable raw materials in the data center industry globally.
3. European Union: Up to 90% of EU spending to replace Russian gas with green technology could be recouped through fuel savings, Energy Monitor reported.
4. United Kingdom - Energy Storage Partnership: Clean energy provider Masdar has licensed Octopus Energy's Kraken technology to manage its battery storage portfolio in the UK, the two companies said.
5. Norway - Solar Energy Debate: The Norwegian government postponed plans to introduce additional taxes for onshore wind power operators by a year to 2024 amid industry concern it may derail renewable energy expansion, Reuters said.
6. Middle East: AIQ and BEEAH Group are collaborating to "propel the UAE’s sustainability agenda forward in alignment with the UAE government’s vision and COP28 goals," the two companies said. AIQ develops artificial intelligence (AI) technology to drive sustainability progress across the oil, gas and energy sectors. BEEAH has multiple business units focused on sustainability -- including an IT consulting and digital transformation unit called EVOTEQ.
7. Saudi Arabia and Netherlands: Saudi Arabia and the Netherlands have signed a memorandum of understanding to collaborate on the development of green energy and hydrogen, Reuters reported.
8. Vietnam: Hydrexia (Malaysia) and Green Solution Group (TGS) are partnering to promote hydrogen technology user applications in Vietnam. Joint work is expected to include hydrogen distribution, hydrogen storage, and hydrogen refueling station information management system.
Send Us Your News Tips: Got news or chatter to share? Please email me.