Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Standards - Sustainability Disclosures: The International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB) has issued its inaugural standards—IFRS S1 and IFRS S2. The standards "usher in a new era of sustainability-related disclosures in capital markets worldwide," the organization said. The standards "will help to improve trust and confidence in company disclosures about sustainability to inform investment decisions," the organization added.
2. Corporate Sustainability Reports Database: Our database tracking corporate sustainability reports and associated net-zero goals GHG emissions goals now spans 216 companies and organizations. Today's additions include Colt Data Centre Services, ERI, Micron, NaaS Technology, Neiman Marcus, Orion Energy Systems, Transfix, The Travelers Companies, Veris Residential.
3. Chief Sustainability Officers Database: Our database of chief sustainability officers now spans 287 CSOs. Today's additions include:
4. Talent - Consulting: PwC has promoted Elisabeth Hunt to lead the company's energy and resources practice. The practice covers refining, distribution and trading, as well as upstream oil, natural gas and LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) sectors, and associated energy transition and sustainability strategies.
5. Research - Energy Management Systems: The energy management systems market is expected to reach $75.6 billion in 2028, up from $40.7 billion in 2023. That's a 13.2% compound annual growth rate (CAGR), according to Markets and Markets. EMS platforms determine the most cost-effective configuration for power production, transmission, and distribution throughout the network, considering the required criteria for system stability, safety, and reliability.
6. Research: Despite current economic uncertainties and ongoing energy challenges, 57% of businesses leaders are increasing their investments in sustainable solutions and clean technology, according to STEM -- a provider of clean energy software and services.
7. Partnership - Healthcare: The Ohio Hospital Association (OHA) has partnered with CLEAResult, America’s largest energy efficiency and decarbonization solutions provider. The result: Ohio hospitals will "gain greater access to sustainability solutions through two services—Energy Procurement and ENERGY STAR Benchmarking and Certification," the organizations said.
8. Distribution - Solar Energy: Enphase Energy has expanded its relationship with 4blue. The result: 4blue will distribute Enphase's IQ Microinverters and IQ Batteries in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, and Luxembourg.
9. E-Commerce: Amazon's Climate Pledge Friendly program will leverage the Recycled Content certification from SCS Global Services. The certification will help Amazon shoppers to find products that are more sustainable.
10. Financial Services - Chief Sustainability Officer: International banking firm Standard Chartered has hired Dana Barsky as global head of sustainability strategy and net zero.
11. Sustainable Aviation: Sabre Corporation has integrated carbon emissions data into its point-of-sale tools for corporations and travel agencies. The solution leverages Google's Travel Impact Model (TIM) to display the carbon footprint of flights on its systems, thereby "empowering travelers to make informed decisions about their trips."
12. Circular Economy - Hardware: By 2030, 80% of hardware vendors’ product portfolio will be linked to circular initiatives, up from 20% in 2023, according to Gartner.
13. Cloud Software: Kumi Analytics has achieved the Google Cloud Ready – Sustainability designation in the Google Cloud Partner Advantage Program. The designation was awarded based on the Kumi Analytics Carbon Sequestration and Assessment Tool (KACSAT) -- which has been approved by OxCarbon as a "methodology for the calculation and verification of voluntary carbon offsets in support of nature based solutions."
14. Partnership - Salesforce Cloud: Riskonnect announced a new integration with Salesforce Net Zero Cloud. The result: Customers can integrate ESG, governance, risk, and compliance data collected in Riskonnect directly into Salesforce Net Zero Cloud. From there, customers can set setting science-based targets, Riskonnect said.
15. Rebrand: Symetri has rebranded its Microdesk acquisition to match the Symetri corporate brand. The combined business "creates and provides technology solutions and services for design, engineering, construction, and manufacturing businesses."
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. M&A - Renewable Energy: Renantis and Ventient Energy are merging to form "one of the largest renewable energy producers in Europe," the two companies said. The combined business will have roughly 1,000 employees. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
2. M&A - Green Infrastructure Engineering: Egis is acquiring McIntosh Perry, a North American engineering services firm headquartered in Toronto. The acquired business specializes in public infrastructure, buildings and energy. Financial terms were not disclosed.
3. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 85 mergers and acquisitions involving sustainability so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. United States - Renewable Energy Research: 74% of Americans say they support the country’s participation in international efforts to reduce the effects of climate change, according to a Pew Research Center survey. Moreover, 67% of U.S. adults prioritize the development of alternative energy sources such as wind, solar and hydrogen power over increasing the production of fossil fuel energy sources, the survey said.
2. Australia - Sustainability Software Partnership: Sustain.Life, a SaaS platform that helps companies to measure, manage, and report their environmental impact, has inked its first partnership in Australia with Planet6, a cloud-first technology service provider focused on sustainability. This partnership "brings together Sustain.Life's innovative platform and Planet6's expertise in enabling companies to take meaningful action towards achieving their ESG ambitions, including net-zero emissions," the two companies said.
3. Middle East: ZainTech and du are partnering to promote sustainable IT and net-zero solutions to customers in the UAE (United Arab Emirates). ZainTech is a digital solutions provider. du is backed by Emirates Integrated Telecommunications Company (EITC).
Send Us Your News Tips: Got news or chatter to share? Please email me.