Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology Developments
1. Microsoft Cloud for Sustainability: In a blog, the software and technology giant described how multiple transportation and energy companies leverage Microsoft Cloud for Sustainability.
2. Corporate Sustainability Reports: Our database of sustainability reports now includes annual updates from Boyne Resorts, Citi, DuPont, Evoqua Water Technologies, Goldman Sachs and Norwegian Cruise Lines.
3. Education: The Indiana University Kelley School of Business is establishing the Institute for Environmental and Social Sustainability.
B. Sustainability Partnerships, Alliances, M&A & Investments
1. IBM Software Discounts - New York Stock Exchange (NYSE): IBM is collaborating with the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) to help support NYSE-listed companies with their environmental, social, and governance (ESG) efforts. The effort involves software discounts for IBM Envizi ESG Suite. The software, IBM says, allows customers to:
- Automate the collection and consolidation of ESG data and the calculation of GHG emissions;
- streamline ESG reporting to support compliance and reporting requirements; and
- leverage data insights and integrations with operational systems to help drive sustainability performance across the organization.
2. Partnership - Google and Solar Power: Google and EDP Renewables North America are working on 80 distributed solar PV projects totaling 500 MWAC, the companies said. The initial projects will surface in Ohio, where Google operates a data center campus in New Albany and Google Cloud region in Columbus.
3. Venture Capital: Twenty-three venture capital firms have joined up to guide young companies and their investors towards a low-carbon future, in the latest effort to steer money towards reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the global economy, Reuters reported. The Venture Climate Alliance (VCA) of firms active in the United States and Europe aims to help companies they have invested in to set climate-related goals in their growth strategies from the outset, Reuters added.
4. Investment - Power Transmission: Eaton has acquired a 49% stake in Jiangsu Ryan Electrical Co. Ltd., a manufacturer of power distribution and sub-transmission transformers in China with revenues of approximately $100 million in 2022. Financial terms of the investment were not disclosed.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability News
1. United States Wind Power - Military Concerns: The Pentagon is sounding alarms over Biden administration plans to advance offshore wind projects along the central Atlantic US coast, warning that almost all of the new terrain eyed for development conflicts with military operations, Bloomberg reported.
2. European Union - Sports: The Green Sports Hub Europe partnership has launched a self-assessment tool for sports organizations to understand and improve their environmental impact.
3. India - Financial Services: Citigroup's India unit plans to offer sustainability-linked deposits to corporate and institutional clients, the Deccan Herald reported. City will invest money raised from the deposits to help multinational customers meet their environmental, social and governance (ESG) obligations in India, the report said.
4. Asia Pacific - Data Centers: Australia's Woodside Energy Ltd signed an agreement with Keppel Corp. for the potential supply of liquid hydrogen to its data centers in Singapore, bolstering the city-state's renewable energy transition efforts, Reuters reported. The initial agreement entails potential purchases of about 1,000 tonnes per day of liquid hydrogen by Keppel Data Centers as early as 2030, including supply from Woodside's proposed H2Perth facility in Perth, the companies said.
Send Us Your News Tips: Got news or chatter to share? Please email me.