Here is today’s sustainability, Net Zero and circular economy news, research and analysis. This daily update is designed for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Send Us Your News Tips: Got news or chatter to share? Please email me.
Our updates for Wednesday, April 12, 2023 include…
A. Sustainability and Net-Zero Partnerships, Research & News
1. Talent - Sustainable Buildings: Johnson Controls has named Julie Brandt as vice president and president, Building Solutions North America (BSNA). Brandt is now responsible for strategy and execution for the $9 billion North American direct-channel business.
2. Talent - Real Estate Management: CBL Properties has hired Derek Young as the company’s initial vice president – ESG.
3. Executive Bonuses - Green Washing?: Some executives are receiving easy-to-achieve bonuses for reaching sustainability targets that aren't all that impressive, according to PwC and London School of Business.
4. Partnership: Siemens is working with NTT Communications and NTT DATA to scale Siemens' software Sigreen to manage carbon emissions, the companies said.
5. Printer Hardware: HP Inc. is touting the sustainability of its latest printer and toner technologies.
6. Data Centers: Aligned Data Centers, which focuses heavily on sustainability, has joined the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Green Power Partnership. Aligned has committed to green power for 100% of its electricity.
7. Energy Management Software: Schneider Electric's latest sustainable energy software milestones are listed here.
8. Apple Restore Fund Expands: Apple has expanded its Restore Fund. First launched in 2021 with an up to $200 million commitment with Conservation International and Goldman Sachs, the Restore Fund is now set to grow with an additional fund, including new investment from Apple, and a new portfolio of carbon removal projects, the company said. As part of the expansion, Apple will invest up to an additional $200 million in the new fund, which Climate Asset Management — a joint venture of HSBC Asset Management and Pollination — will manage.
9. Layoffs: Nori, a Seattle startup that sells carbon credits to individuals and businesses to offset carbon emissions, laid off 10 employees last week, co-founder and CEO Paul Gambill confirmed, according to GeekWire.
10. Microsoft Sustainability Manager: Seeq Corporation, a developer of industrial internet of things advanced analytics software, announced Seeq Solution for Microsoft Sustainability Manager. The solution "enables sustainability teams to extend the power of Microsoft Sustainability Manager... to integrate time series process data preparation, analysis, and continuous improvement, reducing the environmental impact of process industry operations," the company said.
11. How Chief Sustainability Officer (CSO) Roles Will Evolve: Teneo offers perspectives here.
12. Wall Street - ESG Shareholder Debates: It’s almost certainly going to be a record-breaking year for shareholder resolutions targeting issues in the world of environmental, social and governance. But whether many of them are adopted is a different matter, Bloomberg reported.
13. Research - Renewable Energy Production & Adoption: Wind and solar reached a record 12% of global electricity in 2022, with the United States at 15%, according to energy think tank Ember, ReNews.Biz reported.
B. Sustainability Funding, Financing, Mergers & Acquisitions
1. M&A: Apex Group Ltd is acquiring MJ Hudson ESG & Sustainability, a specialist advisory and technology firm.
2. M&A: GFT Technologies, a sustainable IT consultancy, has acquired Targens --a consultancy focused on banking, compliance and digital innovation.
3. Investment: KKR has invested in FSG Global, a strategic communications and advisory firm that has sustainability expertise. Sustainability consulting is familiar territory for KKR, which also owns stake in ERM, the world's largest pure play sustainability consultancy.
C. Sustainability and Net-Zero Government Policies & Regional News
1. United States Energy Transition: Coal use in the US power market is set to decline for a second year in succession as utilities increasingly shift to cheaper and cleaner natural gas and renewables, Bloomberg reported.
D. Send Us Your News Tips
Got news tips, research or data to share? Please email me the details.