Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Corporate Sustainability Reports Database: Our database tracking corporate sustainability reports and associated net-zero goals now spans 178 companies and organizations. Today's additions include reports from Gobi Partners, Masdar, Navistar and University of Melbourne.
2. Networking and Sustainability: Cisco Systems announced multiple sustainability-driven technology solutions and services during the company's Cisco Live 2023 conference. We'll share more details soon.
3. Data Centers and Sustainability Challenges - Research: Data center decarbonization represents a top priority, though organizations are struggling to make progress, a new Hitachi Vantara study found.
4. Data Centers and Solar Power - Partnership: Princeton Digital Group (PDG), a data center provider in Asia, has partnered with Tata Power Renewable Energy Limited (TPREL). The deal will supply PDG’s MU1 data center in Airoli, Mumbai with power generated by a solar project located in the Nanded district of Maharashtra, the companies said.
5. Data Management - Carbon Measurement Tool: Keep an eye on the Data Carbon Ladder tool, which helps to "determine the appropriate size of the dataset(s) required, the optimal frequency for updates, the most suitable storage location, and the analytics necessary for your project," according to those who developed the tool. The tool's developers are academics from Loughborough University. They are funded by the UKRI National Circular Economy Research Hub (CE-Hub).
6. Software - Buildings and Real Estate: Brainbox AI has launched an Autonomous Decarbonization solution suite, an "end-to-end sustainability platform for commercial and retail real estate portfolio owners seeking an AI-driven emissions reduction solution to propel their decarbonization journey," the company said.
6. ESG Reporting Standards: As it gears up to issue its first ESG reporting standards, the International Sustainability Standards Board is tying up with the World Economic Forum to help companies use the new rules, Bloomberg Law reported.
7. Financial Services: Lombard Odier, the Swiss private bank and asset manager, is building a new firm to exclusively focus on sustainability investments to deploy capital at a faster pace toward the energy transition, Bloomberg Law reported.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. M&A - Sustainable Transportation: Professional services firm TRC Companies has acquired GNA -- a clean transportation and energy consulting firm.
2. M&A - Solar and Energy Storage Project: AES Corporation has acquired the 2 GW Bellefield project in Kern County, California. The project "represents a significant step in accelerating California's commitment to achieving 100% carbon-free energy by 2045," and "strengthens AES' position as a leader in providing renewable energy solutions to corporate customers under long-term contracts," AES said. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
3. M&A Database: Our database tracking M&A deals involving sustainable technology & energy has grown to 72 transactions for 2023.
4. Funding - Supply Chain Mapping & Monitoring Software: Sourcemap has raised $20 million in Series B funding led by Energize Ventures with participation from the E14 Fund. Sourcemap will leverage this latest funding to further expand its global footprint and add business-critical solutions to its supply chain mapping and monitoring software suite. According to the company: Major traders, manufacturers and brands have adopted Sourcemap's full-suite solution for assurance on the raw materials-to-finished goods supply chain, including ongoing monitoring for production, quality, sustainability and risks such as deforestation and forced labor.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
. United Kingdom - Wind Power Shortfall: It will take until the year 6723 to finally enough onshore wind farms in England to support the UK’s 2050 net-zero target, according to a report from the Institute for Public Policy Research, Bloomberg reported.
. Africa - Onshore Wind Farm Project: Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company PJSC – Masdar, Infinity Power and Hassan Allam Utilities signed an agreement with Egypt's New and Renewable Energy Authority to secure land to build a 10-gigawatt (GW) capacity onshore wind farm in Egypt, set to be one of the largest in the world, with a project value of over US$ 10 billion, the organizations said.
. Asia: Japanese financial conglomerate SBI Holdings Inc. and climate tech startup Asuene Inc. have entered a joint venture to set up a carbon exchange in the Asian nation that will open around October 2023, Bloomberg reported.
Send Us Your News Tips: Got news or chatter to share? Please email me.