Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology & Talent Developments
1. New Corporate Sustainability Reports: Our database tracking corporate sustainability reports and associated Net Zero goals now spans more than 100 companies and organizations. Today's addition involves Avocado, the green-centric mattress maker.
2. Talent: McCann and Partners has promoted Virginia Clement to associate and head of sustainability. Clement joined the mechanical and electrical engineering consultancy in August 2021.
3. Higher Education: Harvard University launched the Climate and Sustainability Translational Fund and supporting programs. Although dollar figures were not announced, the fund will support university-based projects to "de-risk technologies towards startup formation, creating the next generation of solutions to ensure a cleaner and healthier future," Harvard officials said. An RFP (request for proposals) this fall will be announced for grants along with access to mentoring and additional programs. The fund is backed by Harvard University's Office for Technology Development (OTD) and the Salata Institute for Climate and Sustainability at Harvard.
4. ESG: BuildESG has launched a Value Creation Insights Library to help customers strengthen their ESG proposition.
B. Sustainability Partnerships, Alliances, M&A & Investments
1. Partnership - Consulting and ESG Software: ERM, the world’s largest pure play sustainability consultancy, inked a partnership with ESG software provider Novata. The relationship will help customers to collect, analyze, benchmark and report relevant ESG information.
2. Financial Services - ESG Funds Close: As investor interest in ETFs (exchange traded funds) that promote higher environmental, social and governance (ESG) standards fades, more issuers are shutting down ESG-related funds, Bloomberg reported.
3. Funding - Recycling Technology: Olyns has raised $4 million in Series A funding led by Vanedge Capital. Olyns develops Cubes -- a blend of beverage recycling containers and digital advertising systems located at retail store entrances.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability News
1. United States - Financial Services and ESG Policies: Vanguard Group, the largest provider of mutual funds, has secured regulatory approval to continue to own big stakes in U.S. power utilities, overcoming Republican concerns over its environmental, social and governance (ESG) policies, Reuters reported.
2. Italy - Recycling Hub: Battery recycler Li-Cycle Holdings plans to develop a recycling hub in Italy along with Swiss miner and commodity trader Glencore, Reuters reported. Among the goals is to produce battery materials including lithium.
3. Africa - Financial Services & Fossil Fuels: Standard Bank Group Ltd., Africa’s biggest lender by assets, defended it’s investment in fossil-fuel projects, saying the continent’s energy needs have to be balanced with climate concerns, Bloomberg reported.
Send Us Your News Tips: Got news or chatter to share? Please email me.