Good morning. Here is the latest news, research and market analysis that sustainable technology partners need to know for Tuesday, February 7, 2023.
1. ESG Partnership - IT Consulting: Orica, a developer of commercial explosives, has partnered with global IT consulting firm Cognizant for an ESG data strategy and a digital platform that provides real-time reporting and forecasting of scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. The project is a key component of Orica's Net Zero strategy, specifically its AUD37 million (USD27 million) Kooragang Island Decarbonization Project, Orica said.
2. Chief Sustainability Officer - Solar Power: Altus Power, a developer and owner of solar facilities, has named Chief Legal Officer Sophia Lee to the additional role of chief sustainability officer.
3. Talent - Climate Risk Consulting: KPMG has hired Deloitte veteran Thitachai Apipongcharoen as climate risk manager for Southeast Asia, Eco-Business reported.
4. AWS - Carbon Management Software: Cogo's carbon footprint management software is now listed on AWS Marketplace. The software enables individuals and businesses to measure, understand, and reduce their impact on the climate, Cogo asserts.
5. M&A - Small Business Carbon Management: Private equity firm Ara Partners has acquired a majority stake in Wattstor, a provider of automated carbon reduction and electricity cost-saving technology for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and mid-market industrial and commercial (I&C) end users. Existing investor Janom will maintain a minority stake in Wattstor, which is headquartered in the UK and Czech Republic. Wattstor also operates sites in Slovakia, Croatia and Poland. The company plans to use the new funding to increase its European foothold, launch its Energy-as-a-Service (EaaS) finance offering, boost R&D, and expand the team by more than 50% over the next year, Wattstor said.
6. M&A - Solar Power: Shaw Industries Group has acquired Watershed Solar -- which develops PowerCap solar arrays on top of landfills, coal ash closures, and rooftops.
7. Redeployment - EV Batteries: Hundreds of used electric vehicle battery packs are enjoying a second life at a California facility connected to the state's power grid, B2U Storage Solutions asserts. The project is believed to be the first of its kind selling power into a wholesale market and earned $1 million last year, according to B2U Chief Executive Freeman Hall, Reuters reported.
8. Research - Solar Deployments - United States: U.S. developers plan to add 54.5 gigawatts (GW) of new electric generating capacity in 2023, with more than half being powered by solar energy, the Energy Information Administration (EIA) said, according to Reuters.
9. Research - Clean Energy Jobs: From August 2022 through January 2023, companies have announced more than 100,000 clean energy jobs in the US, according to Climate Power.
Got news to share? Email the details to Sustainable Technology Partner Editorial Director Joe Panettieri.