Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Annual ESG Reports: Our global database of annual sustainability and ESG reports now spans 283 companies. The latest additions are:
2. Chief Sustainability Officers (CSO) List: Our database of chief sustainability officers now spans 321 CSOs. The latest additions include:
3. Smartphones: Fairphone, as expected, has launched Fairphone 5 -- the company's latest sustainable smartphone.
4. Talent - Solar Energy: Caelux has hired Ernest "Charlie" Hasselbrink as chief technology officer (CTO). Hasselbrink previously held key posts at Sunpower (now Maxeon Solar), Mainspring Energy, and Sila Nanotechnologies.
5. ESG Research: Roughly two-thirds of organizations have not implemented ESG controls, and 60% of firms do not currently perform internal ESG audits, according to AuditBoard research findings.
6. Partnership - Supply Chains: project44, a supply chain visibility platform, received the 2023 Google Cloud Industry Solution Technology Partner of the Year Award for Supply Chain & Logistics. The award recognizes project44 for its "innovation, exceptional customer service and commitment to building a more connected, resilient supply chain," project44 said.
7. Partnership - Supply Chains: o9 Solutions and PwC US have launched a strategic alliance. The partnership will assist customers with supply chain planning, forecasting and overall management.
8. Partnership - Google Cloud: New SAP solutions -- leveraging SAP Datasphere and Google Vertex AI -- will help customers to create bespoke sustainability reports, automate AI-powered sustainability alerts throughout the supply chain, and enhance decision-making with deeper analyses on environmental impact and financial benefits, SAP asserted. The solutions, available "soon" on Google Cloud, will also integrate with the SAP Sustainability Control Tower solution.
9. Integration: Clarity AI's data offering now integrates with SimCorp’s investment management platform. The partnership provides institutional investors with access to AI-powered datasets. The investors, in turn, can "effectively align with the EU sustainable finance regulations and execute on impact investing strategies," Clarity AI said.
10. Sustainable Mobility: Toyota Motor Europe has launched Toyota Open Labs, which aligns third-party startups with Toyota business units to "scale innovation and lead the market into the next phase of mobility." The program will "power Toyota’s transformation to a mobility company by deepening its expertise across energy, circular economy, carbon-neutral technologies, smart communities, and mobility for all initiatives," the company said.
11. Fractional Chief Sustainability Officer (CSO) Services: Keep an eye on The CSO Shop, which offers fractional chief sustainability officer services to end customers. Key names to know at the company include Danielle Azoulay, Virginia Tenpenny and Danielle Jezienicki. A somewhat similar company -- called Outsourced Chief Sustainability Officer Asia (OCSO Asia) — surfaced on our radar earlier this year.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. Funding: Amplified Industries (formerly Acoustic Wells) has raised $10 million in funding and emerged from stealth mode. Amplified Industries develops an Industrial IoT (IIoT) solution to help energy sector customer improve energy industry efficiency and sustainability, the company asserted.
2. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 124 mergers and acquisitions so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. European Union: The European Union will not dilute its efforts to fight climate change, but needs to communicate better with industries worried about the cost of CO2-cutting policies, the European Commission's new green policy chief said, according to Reuters. The name to know is European Commission Executive Vice-President Maros Sefcovic.
2. Australia: The country is set to acknowledge the impact climate change poses to its economy and borrowing costs, according to the terms of a class action lawsuit, Bloomberg reported.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Sustainability Live 2023 (Sept. 6-7, London, United Kingdom)
- ICSD 2023 Sustainability Conference (September 6-7, Rome, Italy)
- Sustainability Reporting Europe 2023 (September 6-7, London, United Kingdom)
- Reuters Impact 2023 (September 6-7, London, United Kingdom)
- RE+ (September 11-14, Las Vegas)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send Us Your News Tips. Please email me the details.