The overall sustainability job market remains strong -- as businesses seek employees to fill green IT, renewable energy, and energy transition jobs. Still, the rising tide of green jobs will not lift all boats.
The anecdotal evidence: Sustainability-oriented companies and green energy business units announcing staff cuts in 2023 so far have included...
- November 2023: Our Next Energy (ONE) layoffs involved 25% staff cuts at the electric vehicle (EV) battery maker and energy storage company.
- November 2023: Origin Materials layoffs involved 30% staff cuts, the carbon negative materials company disclosed.
- November 2023: LG Energy Solution layoffs will impact roughly 170 employees between December 2023 and January 2024, The Holland Sentinel of Michigan reported. The business develops EV (electric vehicle) batteries for U.S. automakers. Key customers include Volvo, Stellantis, Ford and General Motors.
- November 2023: Tritium DCFC is planning layoffs and an Australia factory closure. The goal: Achieve a path to profitability in 2024, the fast-growing but money-losing electric vehicle (EV) charging technology company said.
- October 2023: Bloom Energy layoffs will impact roughly 100 employees in Fremont and Sunnyvale, California, according to Silicon Valley Business Journal. Bloom Energy's flagship product -- known as an Energy Server -- is a distributed power generation platform. The fuel cell technology converts natural gas, biogas, or hydrogen into electricity without combustion, resulting in low or no CO2 emission, the journal's report said.
- October 2023: Shell layoffs will impact about 15% of the energy company's Low Carbon Solutions (LCS) employees, Reuters reported.
- October 2023: Navigator CO2 layoffs arrived amid pushback to the proposed Heartland Greenway project -- which involves a carbon capture pipeline and greenhouse gas (GHG) storage system.
- October 2023: Flexport layoffs impacted 20% of staff at the supply chain software and logistics startup. The layoffs surfaced one month after numerous executive suite changes at the company.
- October 2023: Maxeon Solar Technologies layoffs impacted roughly 15% of the solar company's global workforce.
- September 2023: Morningstar Sustainalytics layoffs impacted roughly 10% to 12% of employees at the ESG (environmental, social, governance) data, research and ratings firm.
- September 2023: ChargePoint layoffs hit 10% of its staff and reorganized operations amid weaker-than-expected quarterly revenue guidance from the electric vehicle (EV) charging station network company.
What did we miss? Send me details about a green IT and sustainable technology layoffs (Joe@MentoreVentures.com), and we'll potentially update the timeline above.
Sustainability and Green Technology Jobs: Climate Tech Training Programs
Despite those anecdotal job cuts, demand for green jobs in the United States has grown roughly 50% since 2019, according to Lightcast.
In response, companies such as Accenture, EY, Goodwill and Microsoft have launched green jobs training programs.