Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT services companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Green IT Alliances
1. Apple: Although Apple's sustainability strategy has some gaps and weaknesses, the company's overall carbon reduction efforts appear to be outpacing big IT companies such as Dell, Google, HP, Microsoft and Nvidia, according to a Stand.Earth report.
2. Layoffs - Carbon Capture Startup: Navigator CO2 has confirmed layoffs amid pushback to the proposed Heartland Greenway project -- which involves a carbon capture pipeline and greenhouse gas (GHG) storage system. Related: Here's a list and timeline of sustainability industry layoffs.
3. Partnership - Reverse Logistics: Fillogic and Loop Returns have partnered on a reverse logistics network. The partnership will "help retailers and brands create a more circular, sustainable, and profitable returns process," the companies said.
4. Logistics Software: Unisys has launched Unisys Logistics Optimization to help customers improve shipping processes. Ironically, the launch announcement did not mention sustainability or carbon emissions eduction as potential benefits...
5. Electric Vehicle Charging Stations: The City of Miami Beach, Florida, has selected Blink Charging to "electrify city fleets and provide charging solutions for employees, residents, and visitors," the municipality and Blink Charging said. The EV charging station company recently inked similar agreements with the State of Utah and the Tennessee Valley Authority, Blink Charging noted.
6. Electric Grids Transition Challenges: Stalled spending on electrical grids worldwide is slowing the rollout of renewable energy and could put efforts to limit climate change at risk if millions of miles of power lines are not added or refurbished in the next few years, the International Energy Agency said, as reported by The Associated Press.
7. CES 2024 Keynote: During a CES 2024 conference keynote in January 2024, Siemens AG CEO Roland Busch will emphasize the power of interconnecting the physical world with the digital world to deliver innovation and sustainability, the conference and Siemens announced.
8. Fossil Fuels: Shell CEO Wael Sawan told the company’s staff that he “believes in urgent climate action,” despite shifting focus toward its core oil and gas businesses, Bloomberg reported.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments, Funding and Green IT Business Launches
1. Investment - Plastics Recycling: LyondellBasell has acquired a 50% stake in Rodepa Vastgoed B.V., a holding company of De Paauw Sustainable Resources (DPSR). The investment essentially involves a Dutch plastic waste recycling company. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
2. All M&A Deals: Our list of M&A deals focused on sustainability tracks hundreds of buyers, sellers and private equity investors who focus on green IT services, renewable energy & more.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. South Africa: The country may be able to raise as much as 1.13 trillion rand ($60 billion) over the next five years to fund South Africa's switch to green energy from fossil fuels, Bloomberg reported.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Sustainable Retail Summit 2023 (October 18-20, Copenhagen, Denmark)
- The Political Economics of Environmental Sustainability Conference 2023 (October 23-24, Stanford University)
- VERGE 23 Climate Tech Event (October 24-26, San Jose, California)
- NAEM's EHS & Sustainability Management Forum 2023 (October 24-27, Cleveland, Ohio)
- Valencia Digital Summit 2023 (October 26-27, Valencia)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.