Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Chief Sustainability Officers: Our database of chief sustainability officers now spans 358 CSOs. The latest additions include:
2. Annual ESG Reports: Our global database of annual sustainability and ESG reports now spans 295 companies. The latest addition is candy maker Mars.
3. Google Chromebooks - E-Waste Reduction: Google plans to provide Chromebook software updates for up to a decade. The new policy, which starts in 2024, ensures that no existing Chromebook will expire within the next two years, The Wall Street Journal reported. Newer models have eight years of support, while older Chromebooks have five, the report said. Starting in 2024, Google will support a given laptop “platform”—a certain combination of hardware components—for 10 years after the first device in the platform hits store shelves, The Journal noted.
4. Google Tablets - Right to Repair: Google has partnered withi iFixIt on the Google Pixel Tablet. The effort promotes user-friendly repairs and longevity, aligning with the right to repair movement, Android Police reported.
5. Partnership - AI and Battery Design: Capgemini and the Technical University of Munich (TUM) are partnering to develop artificial intelligence solutions to optimize sustainable advanced virtual battery design, the two organizations said.
6. Partnership - Artificial Intelligence (AI): Boston Consulting Group (BCG) and Anthropic are partnering to help BCG clients "harness frontier AI technology ethically and effectively," the two companies said.
7. Partnership - Sustainable Mobility: Power management company Eaton has agreed to sell, distribute, service, and provide installation support for the Traxen iQ-Cruise system. IQ-Cruise is a cruise control system that improves fuel efficiency, Traxen asserts.
8. Partnership: Infrastructure company Ferrovial, cloud software provider Salesforce and technology consultancy NTT DATA are partnering to "develop the next generation of sustainable solutions for the infrastructure," the three companies. said.
9. Data Centers and Servers - Energy Management: ATEN Technology has launched the eco PDU 3-Phase Series -- which allows partners and customers to manage power in data centers and server rooms, the company said.
10. Energy Management: CLEAResult has launched CLEAResult ATLAS GridSaver, a DERs (Distributed Energy Resources (DERs) management solution that "makes it easier for utilities and their customers to adapt to evolving energy demands and fluctuations," the company said.
11. Expansion: Schneider Electric unveiled a new 160,000 square foot manufacturing plant in El Paso, Texas. The plant is part of a $300 million U.S. manufacturing investment. Schneider Electric's overall goal is to assist United States organizations and consumers with the country's energy transition.
12. Amazon: Amazon has launched a Sustainability Solutions Hub to help sellers with their own product and packaging goals, Edie reported.
13. Executive Leadership: Former KPMG UK chair Bill Michael has joined ESG consultancy Novatus Global as head of strategy and a member of its board, Financial News reported.
14. Solar Project: Altus Power and Brightcore Energy are partnering to install carport solar arrays at Morgan Stanley's Westchester campus in Purchase, New York.
15. Carbon Offset Market Concerns: A popular category of carbon offsets held by a number of major publicly traded companies is significantly more prone to greenwashing than previously feared, according to a new investigation of the financial instruments, Bloomberg reported. The conclusion is based on work done by a team of 14 researchers in association with the University of California, Berkeley’s Goldman School of Public Policy. The study looked at so-called REDD+ credits, which represent roughly a quarter of carbon offsets issued globally, Bloomberg said.
16. SBTi Breaks Up: The Science Based Targets initiative is splitting into two separate units, one to focus on standard setting and the other to validate targets, Bloomberg reported.
17. Reverse Logistics: Debrand, a Vancouver-based reverse logistics solutions provider, has opened its new headquarters in Surrey, British Columbia.
18. E-Waste Crime: New York State convicted ALPCO Recycling, Finger Lakes Cleanup and Recycling Consultants and key people for their roles in illegally processing and disposing of 800 tons of electronic waste (e-waste) in Wayne County.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 131 mergers and acquisitions so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. Australia - Carbon Credits Canceled: The country will permanently cancel millions of controversial carbon credits, removing a loophole that could have been used to meet its international climate commitments, Bloomberg reported.
2. Europe - Recycling Partnership: Siemens will supply hardware and software for tire recycling centers across Europe. Antin Infrastructure Partners, Michelin and Enviro are building out the recycling centers -- which will manage 1 million tons of end-of-life tires by 2030, the companies said.
3. United States - Wind Power Challenges: President Joe Biden’s goal to deploy 30,000 megawatts of offshore wind along U.S. coastlines this decade to fight climate change may be unattainable due to soaring costs and supply chain delays, Reuters reported.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Concordia 2023 Annual Summit (September 18-20, New York, New York)
- TechCrunch Disrupt 2023: Sustainability Stage (September 19-21, San Francisco, California)
- Sustainable Investment Forum North America 2023 (September 19, New York)
- Workiva Amplify 2023 (September 19-21, Nashville, Tennessee)
- CEM Emissions Monitoring Conference 2023 (September 20-22, Barcelona, Spain)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.