Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Chief Sustainability Officers: Our database of chief sustainability officers now spans 355 CSOs. The latest additions include:
2. Annual ESG Reports: Our global database of annual sustainability and ESG reports now spans 290 companies. The latest additions are private equity firm GLP Capital Partners, and energy and technology integrator Quanta Services.
3. Designing Data Centers for AI: Schneider Electric has released a guide to help companies design data centers that can handle AI workloads.
4. ESG Reporting Software: Salesforce Net Zero Cloud has gained generative AI capabilities to "suggest reliable auto-generated responses for ESG reports," the company said.
5. Software: VMware shared more sustainability updates amid the pending company sale to Broadcom.
6. Partnership - Smart Buildings: BT and Johnson Controls are partnering to help businesses leverage smart buildings technology. Customers will be able to "digitally monitor, analyze and optimize energy use in workplaces," the two companies said.
7. Partnership - Building Energy Management: BrainBox AI and Trane are integrating Trane’s cloud-based Tracer SC+ building automation system and BrainBox AI’s autonomous decarbonizing AI-tech. The solution will help Trane customers to "further reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) emissions and unlock operational cost savings," the two companies said. Related: BrainBox AI CEO Sam Ramadori explains autonomous building management software in this podcast.
8. Partnership - Omnichannel Advertising: Magnite and Scope3 are partnering to make carbon emissions data available across Magnite’s omnichannel inventory. As a result, advertisers will be able to assess their carbon emissions and align their sustainability goals with their campaign performance, the companies said.
9. Partnership - Climate Change Consulting: Zurich Resilience Solutions, part of Zurich Insurance Group, has partnered with KPMG Switzerland to offer climate change advisory services.
10. Research - Decarbonization Shortfalls: Fewer than 50% of organizations expect to meet decarbonization targets by 2030, according to Siemens.
11. Recycling and E-Waste: Zolo has launched Zolo Single Touch, a solution that can streamline e-waste recycling in Australia, the company said.
12. Layoffs: Morningstar confirmed Sustainalytics layoffs.
13. COP 28 - Human Rights: More than 200 civil society groups have written to the United Arab Emirates (UAE), host of this year's COP28 U.N. climate summit, and all participating governments with a series of demands concerning the Gulf nation's human rights record, Reuters reported.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. IPO - Net-Zero City Developer: SEE Holding, which developed the Middle East’s first residential community to achieve net zero, is considering an initial public offering of its business including The Sustainable City entity, Bloomberg reported.
2. Fund: Galvanize Climate Solutions has raised more than $1 billion for a new Innovation + Expansion Fund, which will invest in startups aiming to provide climate benefits in the next decade, Bloomberg reported.
3. Financing - Data Centers: EdgeConnex, a developer of hyperlocal to hyperscale data center solutions, announced a $403.8 million deal for Sustainability-Linked Senior Facilities. The money will support EdgeConnex's data center campus in Jakarta, Indonesia.
4. Investment- Climate Technology Emirates NBD, a banking group in the MENAT (Middle East, North Africa and Türkiye) region, has invested in Erguvan, a climate and financial technology venture. Erguvan provides financial institutions and corporations with digital infrastructure, enabling them to manage the impacts and risks of climate change, the company said.
5. Investment - Software: Global sustainable development consultancy Arup has invested in Re:Co, a software and advisory company supporting the private equity market. Together, Arup and Re:Co will "co-create a suite of tools and solutions aimed at improving performance across sustainability metrics while also achieving a high return-on-investment for funds and portfolio companies, encouraging increased green financing within the private equity sector," the two companies said.
6. M&A - Energy Management Software: DNV has acquired ANB Systems, a software as a service (SaaS) company providing energy program services to utility and regulatory body customers. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
7. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 131 mergers and acquisitions so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
C. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Leadership and Innovation Summit 2023 - Business and Climate Change (September 15, Washington, D.C.)
- Concordia 2023 Annual Summit (September 18-20, New York, New York)
- TechCrunch Disrupt 2023: Sustainability Stage (September 19-21, San Francisco, California)
- Sustainable Investment Forum North America 2023 (September 19, New York)
- Workiva Amplify 2023 (September 19-21, Nashville, Tennessee)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
D Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.