Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Chief Sustainability Officers: Our database of chief sustainability officers now spans 344 CSOs. The latest additions include:
2. Beta Testers Wanted: PC Powersave is seeking beta testers in the MSP community. The software decreases PC energy consumption, saves customers money, and provides reports to prove the energy-savings ROI (Return on Investment).
3. AI and Data Center Water Consumption: In its latest environmental report, Microsoft disclosed that its global water consumption spiked 34% from 2021 to 2022 (to nearly 1.7 billion gallons, or more than 2,500 Olympic-sized swimming pools), a sharp increase compared to previous years that outside researchers tie to Microsoft's AI efforts, Fortune reported.
4. Partnership - Wearable Payments: DIGISEQ and ekko have partnered to bring ekko’s carbon tracking platform to consumers using DIGISEQ enabled devices.
5. Executive Leadership - Energy Transition Consulting: FTI Consulting has hired Enrique Glotzer as a managing director in the Power, Renewables & Energy Transition (“PRET”) practice within the firm’s Corporate Finance & Restructuring segment. Glotzer previously was a orincipal in the energy practice at Charles River Associates, advising on high-profile projects with energy firms, utilities, technology and industrial companies, nuclear developers, government agencies, infrastructure funds and private equity firms, FTI said.
6. Financial Services: Euronext has launched multiple ESG products designed to facilitate sustainable investment.
7. Apple: The company is expected to make sustainability a big focus of its iPhone 15 event on September 12 – and a major part of that will be a significant refresh of its Apple Watch straps and iPhone cases, TechRadar reported.
8. Carbon Removal Technology: Amazon has committed to purchasing 250,000 metric tons of carbon removal over 10 years from STRATOS, 1PointFive’s first DAC (Direct Air Capture) plant.
9. Home Energy Storage: Canadian Solar has launched EP Cube Lite in the North American market. The EP Cube Lite "makes energy storage accessible to more homeowners," Canadian Solar said.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. Investment - Sustainability Consultancy: Multiple firms have invested in Anthesis, a global sustainability consulting firm. The investors include Carlyle, Palatine, Tikehau Capital and Anthesis employee shareholders.
2. Investment - Direct Air Capture Systems: Amazon's Climate Pledge Fund is investing in CarbonCapture, which develops DAC (Direct Air Capture) systems. Financial terms of the investment were not disclosed.
3. Funding - Satellites and Sustainability Data: Open Cosmos – which develops satellites that gather data to solve pressing global challenges – has raised $50 million in Series B funding from ETF Partners, Trill Impact and A&G. The round also included Accenture Ventures, Banco Santander InnoEnergy Climate Tech Fund and Claret Capital Partners, with participation from Taavet Hinrikus and Kheng Nam Lee, the organization said. The Open Cosmos mission is to "allow all organizations to access the benefits of satellite data and insights to address global issues such as the climate crisis, the energy transition or the sustainable use of natural resources."
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. United Kingdom: If the UK doesn’t significantly ramp up renewables investment at a time when oil and gas is in decline, as many as 95,000 potential offshore energy jobs will be at risk, according to Aberdeen’s Robert Gordon University, Bloomberg reported.
2. France: French power giant EDF has formed a new carbon offset subsidiary named Oklima, with the aim of developing projects which it said would help reduce greenhouse gas emissions by cutting fossil fuel use, Reuters reported.
3. Asia - ESG Reporting Partnership: ESG Book and the Sustainable Finance Institute Asia (SFIA) have partnered on a pilot Initiative to address ESG data requirements and disclosure gaps in Asian markets, the two organizations said.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- ISPA Sustainability Conference 2023 (September 13-14, Charlotte, North Carolina)
- Net Zero Conference 2023 (September 13-14, Los Angeles, California)
- Leadership and Innovation Summit 2023 - Business and Climate Change (September 15, Washington, D.C.)
- Concordia 2023 Annual Summit (September 18-20, New York, New York)
- TechCrunch Disrupt 2023: Sustainability Stage (September 19-21, San Francisco, California)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.