European Green Data Center Research: Market Growth Forecast
June 12, 2023 by Joe Panettieri
When it comes to sustainability, technology partners appear to have plenty of opportunity in the European green data center market.
Among the proof points: Annual revenue in the European green data center market is expected to reach $12.25 billion in 2028 -- up from $7.94 billion in 2022. That's a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.5%, according to Research and Markets.
Here are three takeaways from the report, and four additions from Sustainable Tech Partner to help you navigate Europe's green data center market.
1. Cloud Services and Renewable Energy: Amazon Web Services (AWS) meets 85% of its energy requirements from renewable energy. Google Cloud and Facebook parent Meta meet 100% of their energy requirements for data centers from renewable energy. Microsoft will power all data centers with 100% renewable energy by 2025, the report said.
3. Noteworthy Milestones: A new OVHcloud data center in Germany will procure renewable energy from Energieversorgung Limburg (EVL). Construction on the data center started in September 2022, the report said.
Sustainable Tech Partner Perspectives: Green Data Center Startups
2. Cloud Services Partnerships and Distribution: Keep an eye on Cloudist -- a Swedish green cloud service provider (CSP) that spun off from EcoDataCenter in 2022. Cloudist is partnering with multiple distributors and technology companies. Key partners include Arrow, Dell Technologies, Microsoft, Veeam and VMware, among others. Target customers include IT suppliers, SaaS entrepreneurs and IT managers.
3. Data Center Partnership - AQ Compute and CBRE: Also of note, AQ Compute and CBRE in 2022 partnered as part of a push to make AQ Compute a "pan-European leader in providing global clients with data centre services. All of the AQ Compute data centers are expected to leverage 100 % renewable energy, the companies said.
4. Green Data Center Partner Programs: Some of the data center providers listed above are listed in our Sustainability Partner Programs Database. Search the database for solutions that may fit your company.