Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Annual ESG Reports: Our global database of annual sustainability and ESG reports now spans 270 companies.The latest additions Camtek and First Solar.
2. Apple Products - E-Waste Reduction: Keep an eye on Alchemy Global Solutions, a circular economy company in Dublin, Ireland. Alchemy, an Apple Authorized Reseller, provides "high-quality, refurbished technology products" to create a more sustainable future, the company asserts.
3. Amazon - Sustainability Setback?: The Science Based Targets initiative, a United Nations-backed entity that validates net-zero plans, has removed Amazon from its list of companies taking action on climate goals after the tech behemoth failed to implement its commitment to set a credible target for reducing carbon emissions, Bloomberg reported. Amazon intends to “continue to work with” SBTi “to establish a path forward for submission.” But “in tandem,” Amazon “will also seek to set science-based targets with other organizations,” the company told Bloomberg. Related: See Amazon's overall sustainability strategy here.
4. Solar Power Integrator: Mahalak Auto Group will deploy rooftop and ground-mount solar panel arrays at three car dealerships in Florida. The project, managed by solar integrator ESA, also includes EV (electric vehicle) charging stations.
5. Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Networks: Fisker's electric vehicles will be able to plug into Tesla's Supercharger network, the companies said. Fiscker is the latest in a growing list of EV makers to support Tesla's EV charging network.
6. Tesla AI Data Centers?: Tesla may be ramping up to build its own data centers, according to Electrek. The effort may involve Tesla's Dojo chips and associated supercomputer technologies. The result could be next-gen data centers that offer artificial intelligence (AI) training for self-driving electric vehicles (EVs), Tom's Hardware speculates.
7. Quarterly Earnings - Smart Grid Technology: Tantalus Systems, a smart grid technology company focused on helping "build sustainable utilities for the future," announced revenue of $11.2 million in Q2 of 2023, up 24% from Q2 of 2022.
8. Podcast Interviews: Check out our recent discussions with...
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 118 mergers and acquisitions involving sustainability so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. United States - Raw Materials Challenges: The mining industry faces "considerable challenges" meeting larger-than-expected demand for copper, nickel and other electric vehicle metals fueled by a U.S. climate law, S&P Global said, according to Reuters.
2. United States - Virginia: IP3 and Green Energy Partners together are building the Surry Green Energy Center and related green data center assets in Virginia. On its own, IP3 is striving to be the "lead U.S. integrator for the development and operations of peaceful and secure nuclear power in the global marketplace."
3. United States - Wisconsin: German conglomerate Siemens will start producing solar energy equipment in the United States in 2024 through a contract manufacturer in Wisconsin, Reuters reported.
4. Canada - Carbon Emissions Debate: Alberta will never comply with a Canadian government plan to phase out carbon emissions from power generation by 2035, Premier Danielle Smith said, according to Bloomberg.
5. Latin America - Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure: Blink Charging Co. has deployed more than 2,100 EV chargers across eight Latin American countries since 2020.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- World ESG Summit 2023 (August 21-22, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- VMware Explore 2023 (August 21-24, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Google Cloud Next 2023 Partner and Customer Conference (August 29-21, San Francisco)
- Sustainability Live 2023 (Sept. 6-7, London, United Kingdom)
- ICSD 2023 Sustainability Conference (September 6-7, Rome, Italy)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send Us Your News Tips. Please email me the details.