Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners; renewable energy and green IT service providers; management consultants; CIOs; chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Green IT Alliances
1. OpenAI CEO Status - Still Fluid? It sounds like former OpenAI CEO Sam Altman could return to the AI software company if OpenAI makes boardroom and governance changes, according to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. Microsoft hired Altman after OpenAI's board fired him on November 17, but investors are working to have Altman rejoin the ChatGPT software maker.
2. Partnership - ESG Software and IT Consulting: MHP, a Porsche Company, will support Sustain.Life's SaaS-based platform for ESG and carbon accounting tools. MHP is an IT management and consulting company.
3. Executive Leadership - Electric Vehicles: Rivian CEO Robert Joseph Scaringe will assume direct responsibility for all product functions -- including Software, Autonomy, Design, Vehicle, Electrical, Propulsion, and Programs. The Company’s Chief Product Development Officer is moving to the role of Executive VP, Vehicle Engineering & Propulsion and will continue to report to the CEO. The update surfaces after Rivian increased its production targets in early November 2023.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments, Funding and Green IT Business Launches
1. Funding - Onshore Renewable Energy: Macquarie Asset Management’s specialist Green Investments team has launched Aula Energy, an onshore renewable energy business designed to attract long-term investment capital.
2. M&A - ESG Software: LocoSoco Group is acquiring Qintelligence, an AI-powered Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) reporting platform. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
3. M&A - Mobility: Loud Mobility, a sustainable transport business, has acquired Cyclechic -- an e-commerce business. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
4. M&A List: Here's our database of all M&A deals involving sustainability, green IT and renewable energy buyers, sellers and investors.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. COP28: The U.S. at COP28 will lay out the first international strategy to commercialize nuclear fusion power, Reuters reported.
2. Global Warming and Net Zero Pledges: Countries have a 14% chance of keeping global warming below 1.5C even in the most optimistic scenario where all net-zero pledges are met, according to an analysis by the UN’s environment program, Bloomberg reported.
3. United States - Solar Power Projects: Spain's Grenergy plans to more than double its U.S. solar power generation and battery storage projects pipeline in the next three years under a 2.6 billion euro ($2.84 billion) investment strategy, Reuters reported.
4. United States - New York Offshore Wind Farm: Denmark's Orsted and Eversource Energy's South Fork offshore wind project installed the first of its 12 turbines off New York's coastline, moving the country closer to its first wind farm in federal waters, Reuters reported.
5. United Arab Emirates (UAE) - Carbon Capture: The United Arab Emirates kicked off a project to suck carbon directly from the air and convert it into rock to permanently trap the climate-changing pollutant, Bloomberg reported.
6. India - Green Jobs: Demand for green talent in India continues to surge, but there's a shortage of talent, Business Insider reports.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- AWS re:Invent 2023 (November 27-December 1, Las Vegas)
- COP28 (November 30-December 12, UAE)
- CSR and Sustainability Summit MOZ (December 6-7, Mozambique)
- European Chief Sustainability Officers Awards (January 15, Davos)
- Intersolar North America and Energy Storage North America 2024 (January 17-19, San Diego, California)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.