Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners; renewable energy and green IT service providers; management consultants; CIOs; chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Green IT Alliances
1. OpenAI CEO Change: Here's how Microsoft hired former OpenAI CEO Sam Altman and president Greg Brockman, and what it potentially means for green IT service providers and sustainability advocates.
2. SEC Regulations: The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) officials have told lobbyists and corporate executives in recent days that the agency's long-anticipated climate rules may scale back some of the most demanding greenhouse gas emissions disclosure requirements that it had proposed, Reuters reported. The bottom line? It sounds like the SEC may remove Scope 3 reporting requirements.
3. Amazon Packaging: Amazon's European fulfillment network is now using 100% recyclable delivery packaging for its customer’s orders, Waste360 reported.
4. Services: Schneider Electric has launched EcoCare service membership in India. The new service "empowers Indian businesses to achieve higher performance, resilience, safety, and environmental sustainability goals across their entire equipment lifecycle," Schneider Electric said.
5. Offshore Wind Power: Attentive Energy One – a joint venture between TotalEnergies, Rise Light & Power, and Corio Generation – has been selected for a potential New York offshore wind power project.
6. Battery Energy Storage System (BESS): Ameresco, a cleantech integrator, will construct a battery energy storage system (BESS) of up to 50-megawatts (MW) for Silicon Valley Power (SVP). The system will provide SVP with "additional local area capacity for electrical system reliability and flexibility. The BESS, named Kifer Energy Storage LLC, will be installed adjacent to the existing Kifer Receiving Station within SVP’s service territory," Ameresco said. The system should be online by Q4 of 2025. Financial terms of the engagement were not disclosed.
7. Partnerships: BP is seeking partners for offshore wind projects in Japan and may invest in hydrogen technology companies to tackle inflation and equipment bottlenecks that have battered the renewables sector, Reuters reported.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments, Funding and Green IT Business Launches
1. Google Funds Recycling App: Bower, which develops a recycling app, has received a €1.75 million (US$1.91 million) grant from the Google's impact challenge fund. Also, the Bower Partner Program is up and running.
2. M&A List: Here's our database of all M&A deals involving sustainability, green IT and renewable energy buyers, sellers and investors.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. Africa: African nations, many of which are emerging as fossil fuel producers, need to develop those resources along with clean energy to enable the quickest energy transition, PwC said, according to a Bloomberg recap.
2. Canada: The Canadian government will present legislation in November 2023 to start paying subsidies for carbon capture and net-zero energy projects, a source with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters, part of a plan to worth around $20 billion over five years.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- ESG Evolve 2023 Conference (November 21-23, Malaysia)
- AWS re:Invent 2023 (November 27-December 1, Las Vegas)
- COP28 (November 30-December 12, UAE)
- CSR and Sustainability Summit MOZ (December 6-7, Mozambique)
- Intersolar North America and Energy Storage North America 2024 (January 17-19, San Diego, California)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.