Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Partnership - Sustainable Supercomputing: Alces Flight and EcoDataCenter are partnering to provide customers with" best-of-breed managed services and sustainable computing for their private research clouds."
2. Partnership - Circular Economy: KPMG and Circulor are introducing a package that "enables customers to trace, monitor and control critical raw materials throughout their battery and other industrial value chains, from extraction to the end of a product’s “first life” and beyond, the companies said.
3. Software - Sustainability Footprint Management: Keep an eye on SAP Sustainability Footprint Management, a software platform that "enables enterprises to calculate and analyze their carbon footprint, using master data from their existing ERP system, product, value chain, and at a corporate level following the Greenhouse Gas Protocol’s Scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions," the company said.
4. Software - Field Service Management: Keep an eye on ServicePower, which appears to be sharpening its focus on sustainability...
5. Volvo - Wind Power: Volvo Group plans to purchase wind power from renewables producer Vattenfall AB in a rare bilateral energy deal in the transport sector, Bloomberg report. The Swedish truck and bus maker will buy 50% of the renewable electricity produced at the Bruzaholm wind park in the south of the country over a decade starting in the last quarter of 2025, the report said.
6. SaaS - Carbon Credit Software Platform: ION -- a provider of trading, risk and treasury management solutions in the financial service market -- has launched a SaaS solution called Carbon Zero. The on-demand software is designed for trading and managing carbon credits and environmental certificates across the entire lifecycle, the company said.
B. Sustainability M&A, Funding and Investments
1. Potential Initial Public Offering (IPO) - Solar Energy Technology: CSI Solar is preparing to launch an IPO in the Shanghai Stock Exchange in early June 2023. CSI Solar is a subsidiary of Canadian Solar Inc.
2. M&A - Financial Services and ESG: Apex Group, a global financial services provider, has acquired the Data & Analytics Division of MJ Hudson Plc. The acquired business includes ESG, Custodian Bank Benchmarking and Quantitative Solutions as well as Investor Relations and Marketing support and will rebrand under the Apex Group banner, the buyer said.
3. M&A - Sustainable Data Centers: Aligned Data Centers has completed the acquisition of LATAM data center provider ODATA . Roughly 85% to 90% of the energy consumed by ODATA is renewable.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability News
1. United States - Career Pivot: Along the Louisiana and Texas coasts, experienced oil and gas workers are happily picking up jobs in the growing wind industry, Bloomberg reported.
2. Europe - Car Emission Regulations: Proposed Euro 7 emissions regulations will lead to direct costs for auto manufacturers that are up to 10 times higher than the European Commission's forecasts, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) and a study by consultancy Frontier Economics, as reported by Reuters.
3. France: French authorities, companies and households need to increase their annual spending on everything from building renovation to electric vehicles by €66 billion ($71 billion) by 2030 to meet European Union emission-reduction targets, Bloomberg reported.
4. Spain: The Spanish government will pledge by the end of the decade to cut emissions by about 7% more than previously set -- but not as much as demanded by environmentalist groups, Reuters reported.
5. China - Solar Power: China’s solar sector is accelerating an already world-beating pace of installations as costs tumble and demand keeps rising, putting it on track to rush past last year’s record, Bloomberg reported. The country installed almost three times the volume of solar capacity between January 2023 and the end of April 2023 than in the same period in 2022, and is on track to add more panels this year than the entire total in the US, Bloomberg said.
Send Us Your News Tips: Got news or chatter to share? Please email me.