Here is today’s sustainability, Net Zero and circular economy news, research and analysis. This daily update is designed for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Send Us Your News Tips: Got news or chatter to share? Please email me.
Our updates for Monday, April 17, 2023 include…
A. Sustainability and Net-Zero Partnerships, Research & News
1. Sustainability Software: Schneider Electric has launched Zeigo, a "sustainability software ecosystem built to simplify and accelerate climate action for companies of all sizes," the company said.
2. Intel Supply Chain Sustainability Strategy: Adam Schafer, senior director of supply chain sustainability at Intel, offers perspectives here.
3. Cloud Services: Johnson Matthey is leveraging Microsoft Azure Quantum to drive new discoveries in sustainable energy, the two companies said.
4. Healthcare: Henry Schein, the massive dental products supplier, has launched Practice Green – a global initiative designed to encourage health care practitioners to become more eco-friendly. The effort initially focuses on the United States and Canada.
5. Sustainability in Colleges: Henry Ford College (HFC) of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is leveraging federal grants and the Johnson Controls Community College Partnership Program to reach Net Zero targets, the organizations said.
6. Partnership: FedTech, an organization that specializes in connecting entrepreneurs with technologies from federal labs, is teaming up with NASA Technology Transfer Expansion (T2X) to introduce entrepreneurs to NASA technologies ripe for commercialization as solutions to climate-related problems, the organizations said. The NASA FedTech Startup Studio matches entrepreneurs with agency patents available for licensing and groups them into teams for entrepreneurial training to develop new products and services, the organizations added.
B. Sustainability Funding, Financing, Mergers & Acquisitions
1. M&A - Private Equity and HVAC Systems: Trinity Hunt Partners acquired a majority stake in Alliance Group, a provider of commercial heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and services. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
C. Sustainability and Net-Zero Government Policies & Regional News
2. G7 (Group of Seven) - Energy Policy: The Group of Seven rich nations set big new collective targets for solar power and offshore wind capacity, agreeing to speed up renewable energy development and move toward a quicker phase-out of fossil fuels, Reuters reported.
3. Canada: Canada has made significant progress in cutting greenhouse gas emissions from before Covid, but the pace is still too slow to meet international commitments, Bloomberg reported.
4. Canada - Green Buildings Pushback: The Residential Construction Council of Ontario (RESCON) is concerned that the provincial government is rushing to implement new green building standards related to building construction at the same time it is proposing to build 1.5 million new homes by 2031, RESCON announced.
5. United Kingdom - Sustainable IT Services: Matrix 247, an IT services firm in Helmshore, has received funding from the Lancaster University to further research the sustainability of their business and ICT services, the Lancashire Telegraph reported.
6. United Kingdom - Smart Meter Shortfall: The UK is on course to miss the government target of achieving 100% smart meter coverage by 2025, according to data from Cornwall Insight, Current News reported.
7. United Kingdom - Small Businesses and Net Zero: Lloyds of London has outlined a five-step guide to help small businesses on their Net Zero journeys.
8. Norway - Cloud Services: The Norwegian Institute of Bioeconomy Research (NIBIO), an independent research organization, has chosen Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) to support key developments in the SmartForest initiative -- which involves sustainable forest management.
9. Netherlands: The biggest hurdle for the Netherlands to reach its climate goals is a overloaded power grid, putting at risk the country’s transition away from fossil fuels, Bloomberg reported.
10. India - Green Buildings: The Confederation of Real Estate Developers Association of India (CREDAI), a body of real estate developers, announced a nationwide partnership with the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) and pledged to get 1,000 projects certified green buildings over next two years, the Hindu Times reported.
11. Asia Pacific - Data Centers: Digital Realty announced multiple renewable energy initiatives in the Asia Pacific region. First, the company signed a renewable electricity supply contract with energy retailer Origin Energy, contracting for wind power capacity that will see its multi-tenant data center portfolio in Australia match energy demand with renewable sources from 2024. And in Singapore, Digital Realty has installed solar panels at its SIN11 data center. Renewable energy generated by the solar project will reduce use of grid power generated from non-renewable sources.
D. Send Us Your News Tips
Got news tips, research or data to share? Please email me the details.