Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology & Talent Developments
1. IT Services: Xebia, a software engineering and IT consultancy company, will begin implementing Salesforce Net Zero Cloud to "help businesses accelerate their sustainability goals," Xebia said.
2. Cloud Services: Cloudist -- a green cloud service provider -- is partnering with Arrow, Dell Technologies, EcoDataCenter, Microsoft and Veeam -- to promote net zero strategies to IT service providers. Cloudist announced a management buyout from EcoDataCenter in November 2022.
3. Software Integration: SINAI Technologies has released its Decarbonization Intelligence Portal, a tool aimed at "providing reliable and actionable carbon data analytics and reporting." The portal integrates with Tableau's software to "offer key features that enable companies to achieve complete visibility into their progress, governance, and planning," SINAI said:
4. Accreditation: The Surpluss -- a sustainability startup in Dubai, United Arab Emirates -- has launched a new certificate to support SMEs in achieving their sustainability goals.
5. Chief Sustainability Officers (CSOs):
6. Sustainable Broadband Services: Project Kuiper, Amazon’s low Earth orbit satellite broadband initiative, was built with sustainability in mind, Amazon asserts.
7. ESG Policies - Berkshire Hathaway: Shareholders overwhelmingly rejected six proposals for environmental, social and governance (ESG) changes at Warren Buffett's conglomerate, all of which the billionaire investor and his board opposed, Reuters said.
B. Sustainability Partnerships, Alliances, M&A & Investments
1. Google Venture Funding: The APAC Sustainability Seed Fund, backed by Google, plans to fund two organizations based in India - Gujarat Mahila Housing Sewa Trust and Villgro Innovation Foundation, the fund organizers said.
2. M&A - Energy Consulting: 5, an energy advisory and management firm, has acquired BidURenergy (BUE) and NRG Advisory Services from NRG Energy. The acquired assets provide brokerage and energy advisory services to clients throughout the Northeast.
3. Investment: Private equity firm Vista Equity Partners has invested in Resilinc, a supply chain software provider that assists end-customers with ESG (environmental, social and governance) compliance. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
4. Potential Exits: NextEra Energy Partners plans to sell its STX Midstream and Meade natural gas pipeline assets in 2023 and 2025. Assuming the asset sales occur, NextEra Energy Partners is expected to achieve Real Zero carbon emissions in 2025 and become the leading 100% renewables pure-play investment opportunity. The changes "could potentially invite a new class of investors looking for a carbon-free, pure-play option to participate in the energy transition," NextEra said.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability News
1. United States - Sustainable Ports: As part of President Biden's Inflation Reduction Act, the EPA is taking the next step to invest $3 billion to "fund zero-emission port equipment and technology and to help ports develop climate action plans to reduce air pollutants, improve air quality and public health in neighboring communities, and advance environmental justice," The White House said.
2. United States - California Solar Energy Policy Debate: Environmental groups filed a petition with the California Courts of Appeal, requesting a review of a new rooftop solar policy they fear could suppress the adoption of these clean energy systems, The Hill reported.
3. Canada - E-waste: Canada’s electronic waste more than tripled in the last two decades and is expected to keep increasing, a University of Waterloo study indicates, with researchers urging better e-waste management to reduce environmental harm and bring economic rewards.
4. European Union: The European Commission is planning to publish a legislative proposal on the regulation of ESG ratings on 13 June, Responsible Investor reported.
5. Europe - Hydropower Alliance: Ten European energy giants have launched the Hydropower Alliance, asking the European Commission to adopt a strategy for the sector, including pumped storage, Balkan Green Energy News reported.
6. Europe - Energy Storage Coalition: A new organization called Energy Storage Coalition has launched to "accelerating the decarbonization of the European energy system by increasing the deployment of sustainable and clean energy storage solutions to support renewables," the group said.
Send Us Your News Tips: Got news or chatter to share? Please email me.