Here is today’s sustainability, Net Zero and circular economy news, research and analysis. This daily update is designed for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Send Us Your News Tips: Got news or chatter to share? Please email me.
Our updates for Tuesday, April 4, 2023 include…
A. Sustainability and Net-Zero News and Research
1. Conference - COP28: Sultan Al Jaber was selected to lead COP28 — the most important climate summit. He also runs the oil and gas behemoth Adnoc, Bloomberg reported.
2. California Power Grid: Roughly $9.3 billion in new projects is needed over the next decade to support California's shift to renewable energy and plug-in cars, according to the California Independent System Operator, as reported by Bloomberg.
3. France - Wind Power: Electricite de France SA is betting that wind turbines at sea — already the size of skyscrapers — will be about 50% more powerful at the start of the next decade when it completes the country’s largest offshore farm, Bloomberg reported.
4. Mainframes: IBM is positioning new z16 and LinuxONE solutions to help customers consolidate their servers and reduce data center energy consumption by 75%.
B. Sustainability and Net-Zero Government Policies
Nothing to see here today. Move along. Move along.
C. Sustainability Funding, Financing, Mergers & Acquisitions
1. For Sale - Italy Energy Storage: Enel SpA is evaluating the sale of a majority stake in its energy storage business, in a move aimed at further reducing the company’s debt burden, Bloomberg reported.
2. For Sale - Oregon Wind Farm: Brookfield Asset Management Ltd. has begun efforts to sell a 50% stake in one of the world’s largest wind farms, Bloomberg reported. The potential sale involves the Shepherds Flat facility in Oregon.
D. Sustainability Partnerships, Alliances and Associations
1. Partnership - Smart Grid & Home Energy Management: Tantalus Systems and Savant Systems have partnered to promote energy management systems for homes. The relationship will allow utilities to more effectively manage EV (Electric Vehicle) chargers, roof-top solar, battery storage, hot water heaters, air conditioning units and other large electric appliances.
2. Net Zero Strategy and Software - Aviation: CHOOOSE, a a Norway-based technology company, will develop climate software to help Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG), the parent company of Malaysia Airlines, achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2050, IndiaCSR reported.
3. Cloud Services - Media Company: The BBC (British Broadcasting Company) has embraced Microsoft Sustainability Manager to help manage carbon emissions and overall sustainability performance, according to Danielle Mulder, the BBC's group director for sustainability, Microsoft reported.
E. Sustainability Conferences, Summits and Events Calendar
Here are five upcoming sustainability conferences and ESG events for business and technology partners:
Bonus: See our complete Sustainability Conference Calendar here
F. Send Us Your News Tips
Got news tips, research or data to share? Please email me the details.