Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Corporate Sustainability Reports Database: Our database tracking corporate sustainability reports and associated net-zero goals now spans 191 companies and organizations. Today's additions include Boeing (2023 report) and U.S. Steel.
2. Chief Sustainability Officers Database: Our database tracking chief sustainability officers (CSOs) now spans 284 executives worldwide. Today's addition is John Ostergren of Smiths Group.
3. Right to Repair - Microsoft Surface Devices: Replacement components for Microsoft Surface devices are now available in the Microsoft Store, according to Tim McGuiggan, VP of devices, services and product engineering. The move aligns with "Right to Repair" initiatives, and may also help to cut e-waste, advocates assert. Still, the repair parts are pricey, Ars Technica asserted.
4. High Tech - Scope 3 Challenges: Scope 3 emissions in the high-tech industry are 24 times greater than the industry's Scope 1 emissions and 13 times greater than the industry's Scope 2 emissions, Accenture estimates. "Scope 3 emissions—which come from sources outside a company—are a much bigger challenge, especially those generated by upstream suppliers," the Accenture report said.
5. Renewable Energy - Retail: CVS Health announced an 18 megawatt agreement with Constellation (NASDAQ: CEG) to purchase zero-emission, renewable energy equivalent to the annual electricity use of its 147 CVS Health locations throughout Michigan, the retailer said.
6. Supply Chain Management - Walmart: Project Gigaton, which seeks to reduce the retailer’s indirect climate footprint, has helped eliminate or avoid 750 million metric tons of carbon emissions so far, Supply Chain Drive reported.
7. Consulting and SaaS Software - Commercial Real Estate Decarbonization Services: JLL has announced decarbonization consulting services and a SaaS-based effort designed specifically for the commercial real estate industry. The offering, known as JLL Decarbonization Strategy, is designed to help corporate real estate owners and investors understand their carbon footprint and develop a data-driven investment roadmap to create and protect value across their real estate portfolio, JLL said. This service is powered by Carbon Pathfinder, JLL's new SaaS technology, the company said.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 80 mergers and acquisitions involving sustainability so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. United States - California Legislation: California introduced climate disclosure legislation in February 2023. It is known as Senate Bill 253. On June 5, 2023, the Bill was passed in the Senate and now moves on to consideration at the state Assembly, JD Supra reported.
2. Europe: The European Union should reduce greenhouse gases by as much as 95% by 2040 to achieve its objective of reaching climate neutrality 10 years later, according to the bloc’s advisers, Bloomberg reported.
Send Us Your News Tips: Got news or chatter to share? Please email me.