Here is today's sustainability, Net Zero and circular economy news, research and analysis. This daily update is designed for technology partners, management consultants, CIOs and chief sustainability officers (CSOs). Note: Got news tips, research or data to share? Please email me the details.
Our updates for March 9, 2023 include:
1. Research - SEC Climate Change Regulations: Fully 85% of executives are concerned their companies do "not have the right technology in place" to help meet proposed SEC climate change disclosure policies, according to survey results from PricewaterhouseCoopers and Workiva.
2. Partnership: Ernst & Young (EY) and IBM plan to partner on at least three fronts to help customers address environmental, social and governance (ESG) goals. The efforts will span:
- Scope 3 greenhouse gas emissions accounting and management;
- ESG Managed Services;
- EY Sustainable Enterprise Asset Management (SEAM) tool for scope 1, 2 and 3 carbon capture, analysis and decision support
3. Partnership - Net Zero Reporting Software: Clarity AI's Net Zero software tool will leverage data from CDP to help financial services companies manage and report their Net Zero alignment and progress.
4. SaaS Software: Deloitte has launched GreenLight Solution by Deloitte, an enterprise decarbonization Software as a Service (SaaS) solution.
5. Talent: Deloitte has appointed Anne-Marie Malley as UK sustainability and climate leader, and Smruti Naik-Jones as the firm’s first chief sustainability officer.
6. Talent: EY (Ernst & Young) has named Michelle T. Davies as EY global sustainability legal services leader, a newly created role to "focus on helping businesses around the world manage a rapidly expanding mix of legal issues relating to sustainability," the company said.
7. Angel Investments: E8, an angel investor community specializing in early stage climatetech enterprises for both profit and ecological sustainability, announced 2022 investment activity of $8.79 million in 34 companies. The largest investments included UrbanX, Steelhead Composites, UbiQD, NVirovate and Recurrent.
8. Solar Power - Texas: No electricity grid in the United States has added more renewable power over the past decade than the Texas grid, Bloomberg reported.
9. Protest: Activists protested against this year's CERAWeek by S&P Global energy conference hosted at Houston's Hilton Americas Hotel, Houston Public Media reported. The protest had four key points activists wanted to address, the report said: They were calling on the Biden Administration to:
- stop approving new fossil fuel infrastructure projects;
- commit to meet with leaders from environmentally impacted communities along the Gulf Coast;
- invest in a transition to clean energy with union jobs; and
- respect Indigenous rights and sovereignty.
Sustainability Conference Calendar
Here are five upcoming sustainability conferences and ESG events for business and technology partners:
- Oman Sustainability Week (March 12-16, Muscat, Oman)
- iMasons Member Summit 2023 (March 13-14, San Francisco, California)
- NAEM Tech23: EHS and ESG Tech Week (March 14-16, Tucson, Arizona)
- Sustainability Week 2023 (March 29-31, London, England)
- Responsible Business USA 2023 (April 4-5, New York)