Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Chief Sustainability Officers Database: Our database of chief sustainability officers now spans 291 CSOs. The latest additions are Marc Allen, chief sustainability officer at Unravel Carbon, and Shameka ("Shree") Dorestant, chief sustainability officer for the city of Greensboro, North Carolina.
2. Microsoft Partner Strategies: During Microsoft Inspire 2023, a virtual conference for partners, Group Product Manager Brandon Potter and Worldwide Sustainability Partner Strategy Leader Alec Saunders are expected to describe how partners can navigate the European Union's Corporate Sustainability Reporting Directive (CSRD), which will also impact thousands of U.S.-based companies.
3. Cloud Partnership: Unravel Carbon, a startup reporting platform for carbon emissions, is leveraging Snowflake for cloud data management and integration capabilities, DigiCon Asia reported.
4. Data Center Scope 3 Emissions: Scope 3 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions are significant for data centers and will become a higher percentage of emissions going forward, Schneider Electric VP Steve Carlini predicted.
5. Research - Electric Mobility Network Market Growth Forecast: MarketDigits predicts the electric mobility network market will reach $2.4 trillion by 2030, up from $279.5 billion in 2023. That's a 27.2% compound annual growth rate (CAGR).
6. Research - Building Energy Management Systems (BEMS) Market Growth Forecast: The market for building energy management systems (BEMS) will reach 12.3 billion by 2030, up from $4.3 billion in 2022, according to ResearchAndMarkets. That's a 14.2% compound annual growth rate (CAGR), the researcher said.
7. Talent - Green E-Commerce: Bodo, a green delivery startup that develops e-commerce logistics software, has hired Amazon veteran Daniel Rafaeli as head of partnerships, Bodo CEO Jack Green disclosed on LinkedIn. Rafaeli previously was a vendor manager at Amazon, where he was responsible for developing commercial partnerships with strategic brands working with Amazon's R-commerce Retail division.
8. Rebrand - Solar Energy Storage: Canadian Solar has rebranded its CSI Solar energy unit to the new name of e-Storage.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. M&A: Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) has acquired Concentric, a power systems supplier for data centers, telecom companies, utilities and mission-critical infrastructure. Both companies focus heavily on sustainable power solutions. Financial terms were not disclosed.
2. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 95 mergers and acquisitions involving sustainability so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
3. Funding: BrainBox AI, a developer of autonomous building technology, has completed a $30 million funding round.
4. Funding: Green investment company Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP) of Denmark formed its fifth flagship fund, raising 5.6 billion euros ($6.13 billion).
5. Financing - Electric Vehicles: Fisker announced a $340 million convertible notes offering. Depending on demand, the figure could increase to $680 million. The offering is expected to close on July 11. Fisker's stock fell about 7% on the news. Fisker is expected to announce Q2 results for 2023 on August 4.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. COP28 Preparations: Ahead of the COP28 climate conference, COP28 UAE President-Designate Dr. Sultan Al Jaber met the of PakistanPrime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, senior government and diplomatic officials, and youth climate advocates in Islamabad as part of his global listening and engagement tour.
2. U.S. Sustainability Policy, Investments: A small group of researchers at Princeton University -- led by Professor Jesse Jenkins -- is helping the U.S. government to set its climate spending budget priorities, The Wall Street Journal reported. Among the group's key developments: The REPEAT, or Rapid Energy Policy Evaluation and Analysis Toolkit, project influenced the development of U.S. legislation on climate change, the article notes.
3. US-China Relations: During meetings in China, US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen urged Beijing to work with the US and support institutions like the Green Climate Fund, which was set up to help developing nations adapt to climate change and lessen its effects, BBC reported.
4. California Regulations: Two critical bills for California and potentially for the rest of the world, are on the verge of being enforced in the state that tighten requirements for large companies to disclose on their emissions and carbon offsets purchasing, Carbon Herald reported. Among the details the article noted:
- Bill SB 253 will require companies with total annual revenues in excess of $1 billion that do business in California to publicly disclose to the emissions reporting organization their scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions, starting in 2026 or 2027.
- Bill AB 1305 requires firms that buy or sell carbon offsets to disclose more information about those credits/ offsets.
5. United States - California Truck Emissions: California and some of the nation’s biggest truck manufacturers have reached an agreement aimed at smoothening the industry’s transition to 100 percent zero-emission sales by 2036, The Hill reported.
6. United States - Automobile Emissions: Tesla wants the Biden administration to finalize more stringent vehicle emissions limits than those proposed in April by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), putting the automaker at odds with other manufacturers, Reuters reported.
D. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Our Previous Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send Us Your News Tips. Please email me the details.