Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Annual ESG Reports: Our global database of annual sustainability and ESG reports now spans 279 companies. The latest addition is Albertsons Companies.
2. Chief Sustainability Officers (CSO) List: Our database of chief sustainability officers now spans 318 CSOs. The latest additions include:
3. Amazon and Recycling: A facility to recycle electronic equipment used by Amazon is expected to open in April 2024 in Antrim Township, Pennsylvania.
4. Research - ESG Reporting Challenges: Businesses worldwide are struggling with ESG reporting complexity, a Workiva survey found.
5. Fast Growth - Enegineering and Sustainability: Eco BCG is the fastest growing privately held engineering company in America, according to the annual Inc. 5000 list. Eco BCG is an engineering firm that helps manufacturing companies to increase productivity, quality, and safety while meeting sustainability requirements, the company said.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. Funding - Smart Buildings: Clockworks Analytics, a provider of SaaS-based software for building analytics, has raised $16.1 million in funding. The round was led by Carom Growth Partners with participation from existing investor, SE Ventures. This investment brings the company’s total funding to over $28 million since inception. The company's market valuation was not disclosed. In some ways, it sounds like Clockworks Analytics competes with BrainBox AI, which has raised roughly $30 million in recent months. Related: The ClockWorks Analytics partner program is now listed in our Sustainability Partner Programs database.
2. M&A - Electric Vehicle Charging Station Technology: NaaS Technology, the first U.S. listed EV charging service company in China, is acquiring Charge Amps AB for US$66.4 million. Charge Amps is an integrated EV charging solutions provider headquartered in Sweden.
3. M&A - Fast EV Charging: Siemens AG is acquiring Heliox, a Netherlands-based technology provider of in fast charging solutions. Heliox serves eBus and eTruck fleets and passenger vehicles. Financial terms for the deal were not disclosed.
4. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 121 mergers and acquisitions so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. United States - Florida: Duke Energy is rolling out a renewable energy certificate program in Florida. The Clean Energy Impact program is available for residential, small and medium business customers in Duke Energy's Florida service area -- but may be "especially useful for large commercial and industrial customers as an alternative to the company's existing community solar program, Clean Energy Connection," the company said.
2. Puerto Rico - Electric Vehicle Charging Stations: Blink Charging Co. and Arcos Dorados (the world's largest independent McDonald's franchisee) will roll out EV charging stations at five McDonald’s restaurants owned by Arcos Dorados in Puerto Rico.
3. Africa: Deals worth hundreds of millions of dollars are expected to be struck at next month's Africa Climate Summit, including increasingly popular nature-based investments, Reuters reported. African officials hope the meeting will strengthen the continent's voice and send a unified message ahead of the COP28 United Nations climate summit later this year.
4. European Union: EU Climate Chief Frans Timmermans will step aside from his role as he leads the Dutch left alliance ahead of elections in November, Bloomberg reported. Vice President Maros Sefcovic will take over Timmerman’s Green Deal duties, the report said.
5. Germany: The country's goal to cut greenhouse emissions by 65% by 2030 are likely to be missed, meaning a longer-term net zero by a 2045 target is also in doubt, reports by government climate advisers and the Federal Environment Agency (UBA) show, Reuters reported.
6. Indonesia: A final plan for Indonesia’s $20 billion climate deal could be in place by the end of October, Bloomberg reported.
7. Netherlands: Service providers in the Netherlands are well positioned both geographically and technologically to take advantage of growing trends toward automated cloud operations and environmental sustainability, according to a research report by Information Services Group (ISG).
8. Singapore - Sustainable Supply Chain Management: EY has introduced the EY Centre for Sustainable Supply Chains in Singapore, aimed at propelling sustainable practices forsupply chains in Southeast Asia, the company said.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Google Cloud Next 2023 Partner and Customer Conference (August 29-21, San Francisco)
- Sustainability Live 2023 (Sept. 6-7, London, United Kingdom)
- ICSD 2023 Sustainability Conference (September 6-7, Rome, Italy)
- Sustainability Reporting Europe 2023 (September 6-7, London, United Kingdom)
- Reuters Impact 2023 (September 6-7, London, United Kingdom)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send Us Your News Tips. Please email me the details.