Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Talent - Data Centers: Open Access Data Centres (OADC), which serves Africa, has hired Sayuri Moodliar as head of ESG.
2. Talent - Google Cloud: Amazon Web Services (AWS) veteran and sustainable data center expert Chris Vonderhaar has joined Google Cloud as VP of demand and supply management.
3. Partnership - Sustainable Real Estate: Associa, which manages communities for nearly five million residents worldwide, has partnered with F&D Partners, a consulting firm specializing in energy efficiency and sustainability solutions. The result: Associa-managed communities throughout Canada can access F&D Partners’ expertise in energy audits, sustainability assessments, and customized energy management planning.
4. 5G Networks: Ericsson’s new proof-of-concept 5G site in Texas has the "potential to be fully powered by solar energy complemented by integrated Lithium-ion batteries for up to a 24-hour period," the company said.
5. Semiconductor Supply Chain: Schneider electric has launched Catalyze, an initiative that's designed to "help decarbonize the semiconductor value chain." Early partners include Intel and Applied Materials.
6. Lab: Johnson Controls opened an OpenBlue Innovation Centre in Bengaluru, Karnataka. The new centre offers hands-on demos of net zero building technology and showcases Johnson Controls OpenBlue technology.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. Funding: ESG Bay, an environmental, social, and governance (ESG) self-assessment platform, has raised £135,000 in early stage funding via the FundMyPitch platform.
2. Venture Capital: The Coca-Cola Company and eight bottling partners have formed a $137.7 million venture capital fund focusing on sustainability investments. Greycroft, a seed-to-growth venture capital firm, will manage the Greycroft Coca-Cola System Sustainability Fund. The fund will initially focus on Packaging, heating and cooling, facility decarbonization, distribution and supply chain.
3. M&A - Wind Energy: Ryse Energy, a renewables company based in Abu Dhabi's Masdar City, has acquired wind turbine maker Primus Wind Power of Lakewood, Colorado. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
4. M&A - Sustainable Buildings: Fidelity Building Services Group (Fidelity BSG) has acquired Environmental Systems Corporation (ESC) to expand Fidelity Energy & Sustainability, a national team of professionals dedicated to the transformation of buildings into energy-efficient, sustainable, and healthy environments. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
5. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 96 mergers and acquisitions involving sustainability so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. Global Sustainability: COP28 President-Designate Sultan Al Jaber described multiple sustainability goals on July 15. The statements aim to set the stage and tone for the COP28 climate change conference -- which the UAE will host starting in November 2023.
2. United States - Texas Renewable Energy: Texas electricity use jumped to an all-time high again as temperatures soar, but solar and wind power are keeping the lights on, Bloomberg reported.
3. Panama - Green Data Center: Telecom Italia’s infrastructure unit Sparkle launched the Panama Digital Gateway, a 3.5MW site considered the first “green datacenter” in the country, BNamericas reported.
4. Canada: The country announced $450 million for the Green Climate Fund, the world's largest dedicated climate change fund.
D. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send Us Your News Tips. Please email me the details.