Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Chief Sustainability Officers: Our database of chief sustainability officers now spans 334 CSOs. The latest additions include:
2. Layoffs - Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations: ChargePoint is laying off 10% of its staff and reorganizing operations amid weaker-than-expected quarterly revenue guidance from the electric vehicle (EV) charging station network company. The staff cuts and reorganization are expected to save ChargePoint roughly $30 million in annual operating expenses, and the company is striving to become cash flow positive next year.
3. Partnership - EV Charging Station Standards: Honda Motor has reached an agreement with Tesla to adopt the North American Charging Standard for the charging port of its electric vehicle models that will go on sale in North America starting from 2025. Tesla's NACS appears to be emerging as a de-facto standard for EV charging networks in North America.
4. Executive Leadership: Schneider Electric has promoted Gwenaelle Avice-Huet as its new executive VP of Europe Operations. Avice-Huet succeeds Philippe Delorme, who is leaving the company to pursue interests elsewhere.
5. Digital Twin Technology - Energy Management: Schneider Electric has launched the ETAP Digital Twin Platform for power systems in Hong Kong. The platform supports the design, simulation, engineering, and operation of power systems.
6. Energy Management Software: FlexGen has launched HybridOS 11 -- an update to the company's energy management software platform.
7. ESG Software: AArete, a global management and technology consulting firm, has launched AAchieve.ESG. The software platform offers Scopes 1, 2 and 3 emissions visibility for sustainability reporting.
8. Net Zero Plan - Financial Services: Alliance announced its first net-zero transition plan.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. Funding - Electric Vehicle (EV) Battery Materials: Ascend Elements, a U.S.-based manufacturer of sustainable, engineered battery materials for electric vehicles, has riased $460 million in Series D funding. Decarbonization Partners, a BlackRock and Temasek joint venture, co-led the round alongside Temasek and Qatar Investment Authority.
2. Funding - Steelmaking Decarbonization: Boston Metal, a global metals technology solutions company, hs raised $262 million in Series C funding. New investors include Aramco Ventures; global investment manager M&G Investments; natural resource investment firm Goehring & Rozencwajg; and investment management firm Baillie Gifford. Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Microsoft’s Climate Innovation Fund, BHP Ventures and Prelude Ventures also participated in the round.
3. M&A - Supply Chain Management Software: ISN, backed by Blackstone Growth, has acquired Transparency-One, a supply chain platform that provides customers with visibility, traceability and sustainability information. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
4. M&A - Small Business Energy Management: Lime Rock New Energy, a growth equity investor, has acquired Power TakeOff -- which develops energy efficiency software for small and midsize business (SMB) customers. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
5. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 131 mergers and acquisitions so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. Africa: Energy investment in Africa needs to more than double by the end of the decade if the continent is to meet its energy and climate goals, The Wall Street Journal reported. However, high costs are putting off much-needed investment in the region’s plentiful clean-energy resources and huge reserves of critical minerals, the International Energy Agency said, the Journal noted.
2. Germany - Wind Power: Germany's wind power expansion is facing an unexpected roadblock, Reuter said. The issue: Builders need permits to transport the heavy turbines down the country's roads, and they are waiting months to get them, the report noted.
3. United Kingdom - Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations: BP launched Britain's largest electric vehicle charging hub near Birmingham, capable of serving up to 180 cars, Reuters reported.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- RE+ (September 11-14, Las Vegas)
- ISPA Sustainability Conference 2023 (September 13-14, Charlotte, North Carolina)
- Net Zero Conference 2023 (September 13-14, Los Angeles, California)
- Leadership and Innovation Summit 2023 - Business and Climate Change (September 15, Washington, D.C.)
- Concordia 2023 Annual Summit (September 18-20, New York, New York)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.