Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT services companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Green IT Alliances
1. New Chief Sustainability Officer: Nathalie Wallace began her new role as chief sustainability officer (CSO) at Edmond de Rothschild on November 6.
2. Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Energy Consumption: AI could consume up to 3.5% of the world’s electricity by 2030, Gartner predicted.
3. Liquid Cooling Technology: LiquidStack announced a new single-phase liquid cooling solution that "provides data centers with a powerful and economical option to shift from air cooling to energy-efficient and sustainable immersion cooling," the company asserted. The new offering will be available for quotation and pre-order on December 1, 2023.
4. Apple and iPhone Sustainability: The iPhone's carbon footprint continues to shrink. But the best way for Apple to address sustainability would be for customers to replace their iPhones and computers less frequently, Bloomberg reports.
5. Research - Green Technologies: Most green technologies required to achieve net zero exist already, but cost competitive options would only cover around 55% of global emissions, according to World Economic Forum, Alliance of CEO Climate Leaders, and Boston Consulting Group (BCG). Emerging options -- including 'deep decarbonization' technologies such as hydrogen; carbon capture, usage, and storage (CCUS); and direct air capture -- are still in early stages of development and scaling too slowly. To catch up, innovation and industrial scaling need to accelerate at nearly unprecedented levels, the report found.
6. Partnership - Software and Energy Transition: OMV Group will leverage Aspen Technology's industrial software to "help accelerate the international integrated oil and gas company’s energy transition initiatives and its path to achieving net zero targets."
7. Partnership - IT Services and Shipping: NYK Line -- a Japanese shipping company also known as Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha -- will leverage guidance from NTT Data to gather and visualize greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, including Scope 3 emissions.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments, Funding and Green IT Business Launches
1. M&A List: Here's our database of all M&A deals involving sustainability, green IT and renewable energy buyers, sellers and investors.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. Canada - Emissions Challenges: Canada's emissions reduction plan is flawed and will not reach the target of cutting greenhouse gas output by 40% to 45% below the 2005 level by 2030, Canada's auditor general said, Reuters reported.
2. China - Solar Power: China will control more than 80% of the world's solar manufacturing capacity through 2026 and will be capable of satisfying annual global demand for much of the next decade, according to Wood Mackenzie -- as reported by Reuters.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Americas Conference - Sustainable Resilience (November 9-11, San Francisco)
- Nexpo and Tallinn GreenTech Week 2023 (November 13-17, Estonia)
- Microsoft Ignite 2023 (November 14-17, Seattle, Washington)
- Houston Carbon Management Community Summit (November 16-17, Houston, Texas)
- ESG Evolve 2023 Conference (November 21-23, Malaysia)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.