Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT services companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Green IT Alliances
1. Talent: Tamara Marcus at the end of 2023 will resign as Linn County (Utah) sustainability director to launch a new sustainability and equity consulting service to primarily serve Corridor-based local governments, businesses and nonprofits, The Gazette reported.
2. Consulting: Arup, a sustainable development and engineering consultancy, has opened an office in Calgary. The global firm has had a presence in Canada for more than 20 years, with two other offices in Toronto and Montreal, Arup noted.
3. Healthcare: The International Hospital Federation’s (IHF) Geneva Sustainability Centre has launched a new Sustainability Accelerator Tool (SAT) in partnership with Deloitte, ITIJ reported. The cloud-based platform allows hospitals to track and compare sustainability data with other healthcare facilities around the world, the report said.
4. Recycling: EDF Renewables North America and SOLARCYCLE are partnering to recycle solar panels damaged or broken during construction and operation, from their grid-scale, distribution-scale, and onsite solar sites.
5. Expansion: KPMG in Canada has launched a Decarbonization Hub to "help organizations achieve their emissions reduction and energy transition goals." The hub assists customers with developing decarbonization pathways; end-to-end support implementing decarbonization solutions;; navigating climate policy and incentives; structuring and arranging financing; and effective reporting.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments, Funding and Green IT Business Launches
1. M&A - ESG Expertise: Straive has acquired Gramener, a design-led data science company. Straive is owned by BPEA EQT, a global investment organization. Gramener's expertise spans low-code AI for clients across multiple industries, including Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences, Logistics & Manufacturing, ESG, and Technology & Consulting.
2. M&A - IT Asset Disposition (ITAD) Services: Iron Mountain has acquired Regency Technologies, aprovider of IT asset disposition (ITAD) services in the United States. Regency Technologies processes over 50,000 metric tons of material annually, reselling more than 2 million units across eight locations spanning the United States. The purchase price was $200 million, and the valuation was roughly 7.5 times annual EBITDA.
3. M&A - IT Asset Disposition (ITAD) Services: Private equity firm Closed Loop Partners has acquired Sage Sustainable Electronics, a circular economy and e-waste management firm.
4. M&A - Consulting: Schneider Electric has finalized the acquisition of EcoAct SAS from Atos Group. The acquired business provides climate consulting and net zero solutions.
5. M&A - Electric Vehicle (EV) Technology: Ford is buying Auto Motive Power (AMP) to bolster its charging, battery management and power conversion tech.
6. M&A List: Here's our database of all M&A deals involving sustainability, green IT and renewable energy buyers, sellers and investors.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. United States: The state of Washington released a recommendation to link its carbon market with similar programs in California and Quebec, a major milestone for state-level climate policy, Bloomberg reported.
2. United States - Puerto Rico Solar Energy Funding: The Biden administration is launching talks with solar energy companies and nonprofit groups to allocate roughly $440 million for rooftop solar and battery storage systems in Puerto Rico -- where storms have wiped out the grid in recent years, the Energy Department said, according to Retuers.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- Cisco Partner Summit 2023 (November 6-9, Miami, Florida)
- Sustainable Detroit Forum 2023 (November 6, Detroit, Michigan)
- Smart City Expo World Congress 2023 (November 7-9, Barcelona, Spain)
- Oka' Sustainability Conference 2023 (November 8-9, Oklahoma)
- Americas Conference - Sustainable Resilience (November 9-11, San Francisco)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send us your news tips. Please email me the details.