Here is today’s sustainability news, research and analysis for technology partners, renewable energy and green IT companies, management consultants, CIOs, chief sustainability officers (CSOs) and c-suite members.
Got News to Share? Email me the details.
A. Sustainable Technology, Talent, Partnerships and Alliances
1. Corporate Sustainability Reports List: Our database of corporate sustainability reports now spans 241 companies. The latest addition is Lam Research Corp.
2. Partnership: Deloitte has partnered with AT&T and Salesforce to "help organizations streamline their processes, enhance data integrity and accelerate the identification of sustainability improvement opportunities," the three companies said.
3. Microsoft Cloud for Energy Companies: Microsoft announced general availability of Azure Data Manager for Energy. The application allows enables energy companies to manage "compute-intensive workloads at global scale, and quickly ingests data for analytics and decision-making."
4. IBM - AI and Sustainability Strategy: IBM will infuse artificial intelligence (AI) into all of its products -- ranging from sustainability software to databases, consulting practices and mainframe capabilities, CEO Arvind Krishna said during the company's Q2 2023 earnings call on June 19. Still, IBM's overall business faces some IT spending headwinds. Revenue was $15.5 billion in Q2 of 2023, down 0.4% from Q2 of 2022.
5. Tesla - Momentum and Challenges: The electric vehicle maker (EV) continues to gain momentum in on some fronts, while struggling in the solar roof market, Tesla's Q2 2023 earnings report revealed.
6. Smart Homes - Energy Management: Schneider Electric has launched a modular solution that adds smart panel functionality to standard home electrical systems. The offering provides "homeowners nationwide app-based control with easier installation and at a lower cost than current smart panel options," the company asserted.
B. Sustainability M&A, Investments and Funding
1. All M&A Activity: Our M&A database has now tracked 105 mergers and acquisitions involving sustainability so far in 2023. See all M&A deals involving sustainability listed here.
C. Regional and Global Sustainability Policies and News
1. US-China - Climate Talks: U.S. climate envoy John Kerry said more work was needed this year to reach agreements with China on major climate issues, after three days of talks in Beijing to rebuild trust between the world's two biggest carbon polluters, Reuters reported. The two sides agreed climate change was urgent and that they should stick to the global commitment “to keep 1.5 alive,” Kerry said, referring to pledges to keep global temperatures from rising beyond 1.5 degrees Celsius above preindustrial temperatures, the report added.
2. United States - Gulf of Mexico Wind Power: President Joe Biden will announce the first offshore wind power development rights sale in the Gulf of Mexico today as part of a trip to highlight the administration's efforts to boost renewable energy, Reuters reported.
3. United Kingdom - Wind Power Setback: Vattenfall AB will halt the development of an offshore wind project in the UK after costs surged, posing a major setback for a key part of Britain’s climate plans, Bloomberg reported.
4. Italy - Renewable Energy: Italian installations of new renewable energy capacity rose 120% in the first six months of 2023, an encouraging sign for the country that is behind schedule to meet European Union targets on energy transition, Reuters reported.
D. Sustainability and Green Technology Conference Calendar
- IAEE European Conference 2023 (July 24-27, Milan, Italy)
- ASES Solar 2023 Conference (August 8-11, Boulder, Colorado)
- World ESG Summit 2023 (August 21-22, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- Google Cloud Next 2023 Partner and Customer Conference (August 29-21, San Francisco)
- Sustainability Live 2023 (September 6-7, London, England)
- International Conference on Sustainable Development (ICSD) N2023 (September 6-7, Rome, Italy)
- Complete Calendar of Sustainability Conferences
E. Previous Updates & Future News
1. Did You Miss Yesterday's Daily Update?: Here is our previous sustainability, green IT and renewable energy news for technology partners.
2. Future Updates: Send Us Your News Tips. Please email me the details.